The Georgetown men’s soccer team allowed then-No. 8 Rutgers to extend their winning streak to nine games by a score of 3-2, losing a late lead to the Scarlet Knights in New Jersey on Saturday. After allowing the tying goal with only five minutes to play, Georgetown gave up the game-winner less than three minutes into the first overtime when junior back Guy Abrahamson blasted a shot from 35 yards out past Hoya junior keeper Brian O’Hagan. The loss brings Georgetown to a 5-6-1 overall record, 3-3 in conference play.

Rutgers opened the scoring at Yurcak Field in the 17th minute as senior forward Dennis Ludwig scored on a feed from junior back Todd oser. Rutgers got out to a quick lead and dominated in the early minutes. However, the Hoyas struck back five minutes later as senior Kenny Owens scored his fourth goal of the season on a deflection, tying the game at 1-1.

Despite Rutgers’ advantage in shots and ball control, the Hoyas kept the game tied going into the halftime break. The Hoyas continued to apply pressure in the second half, neutralizing the Scarlet Knights. That style of play paid off early in the second half as senior forward Nate Port, the Hoyas’ leading scorer, forced the defense into a sloppy clearing pass, gathered the ball and finished into an open net 18 seconds in. The goal was Port’s team-leading seventh on the season and his third in four games.

To win, the Hoyas had to resist the Scarlet Knights’ continual pressure for the next 45 minutes. They held the lead for 40 minutes, dodging a bullet from freshman midfieder Gustavo Mora that hit the crossbar and shots by senior forward Dustin Sheppard that went wide, striking the goal’s outside netting. Finally, the Hoyas’ succumbed to the Knights’ pressure as Ludwig fed sophomore forward Sherif El Bialy in the 86th minute for the tying goal.

In overtime, it was all Rutgers as 2000 All-Big East performer Abrahamson dribbled into the middle of the field and ripped a shot for the game winner. The ball, struck from 35 yards out, knuckled in the air, then landed in the hands of the diving O’Hagan before spinning out and trickling past the end line.

This game marks the second straight time the Hoyas have had a late lead erased by a goal in the 86th minute. Unlike the last one, a 2-1 win over the Virginia Tech Hokies, Georgetown’s opponent got the golden goal. The loss could be particularly difficult to swallow for the Hoyas who, with a win, would have moved into a tie for second place in the Big East. Instead, they remain near the middle of the pack while Rutgers holds sole position of second place.

Despite the unfavorable result, Georgetown showed by their near miss that they can at least compete with the elite of the conference, and even those near the top of the national scene. The Hoyas will have another opportunity to prove their prominence as they face conference foe No. 16 Connecticut. The Huskies are first in the Big East. With only five games remaining in conference play, each game becomes vital to attaining as many points as possible. The Hoyas have a week off before facing the Huskies on Harbin Field at 1 p.m. on Oct. 20.