In the biggest game of the young season, the Georgetown men’s soccer team shut out conference rival Rutgers, 1-0 Sunday afternoon on Harbin Field. It was the Georgetown’s first conference win. In a tightly contested game which went into halftime scoreless, Junior midfielfer Kevin Shaw scored in the 72nd minute to give the Hoyas the victory. Senior forward Eric Kvello had the ball along the right side and found Shaw streaking in the middle with a beautiful cross. Shaw then shot right into Rutgers defender Jason Kenig, who tried to dish the ball back to his goalie but misplayed the ball and Shaw capitalized on the opportunity and put the ball right past the goalkeeper. “It was great hustle by Kevin to stay with that ball,” said Head Coach Keith Tabatznik. The win comes at the perfect time for the Hoyas, who now stand at 6-2 overall and 1-2 in the Big East. The Hoyas came out a little tentative, not as crisp as they have been at times this year. Many Georgetown passes that should have gone through in the first half were intercepted. “No one knew really how this week of training would pay off,” Tabatznik said. “The intensity level was high all week. Everyone came into the game on the same page.” Georgetown had a great scoring opportunity in the first half in the 18th minute when freshmen forward Kenny Owens broke away from the defenders and past the goalkeeper, and he put it in the back of the net, but he used his hand to slap at the ball to get it under control before he fired the shot and the goal was disallowed. The Hoyas the survived a flurry of opportunities in the 31st minute, as Scarlet Knights repeatedly fired away when the Hoyas couldn’t clear the ball out of the zone. Georgetown came out of intermission with a more aggressive attitude, trying to push the ball much more tan in the first half. Following the goal by Shaw, Owens had several opportunities on his own as he was trying to put the game away. In the 83rd minute junior Jason Partenza put on several nice moves along the endline and dished to a wide open Owens at the 18-yard line. Owens fired the ball on goal, but it was slapped up and over the net by Rutgers goalkeeper Jonathan Conway. Georgetown then held on for the next nine minutes to preserve the victory. Junior goalkeeper Tyler Purtill registered his fifth shutout this year in only eight games. The goal was Shaw’s first on the season, and was probably the team’s biggest of the year. “We played a lot more like this team needs to be today,” Tabatznik said, “It was a dead even game but we felt in control for most of the game.” The Hoyas have no time to celebrate however, because they play host Old Dominion on Wednesday afternoon at 3:30 at Harbin Field. Tabatznik believes that they must improve on this weekend’s win. “We can do better,” Tabatznik said. “We played well today but we can improve in many areas.