Fourth-place finishes are often rewarding. But when they could have been a first-place finish, they are nothing but disappointing.

After the first day of play at the Penn/Big 5 Classic, Georgetown’s men’s golf team sat in second place with a composite score of 297, just one stroke behind leading Princeton and four strokes ahead of third-place Penn State.

All five of Georgetown’s team members played well, although only four scores were counted. Junior David Erickson, sophomore Tim Moynihan and freshman John Jamgochian each shot 74, three over par. Senior Bob Molina and junior Matt Myers scored 75 and 76, respectively.

But on the second day the Hoyas struggled. Three players shot in the 80s – Erickson (81), Moynihan (83) and Molina (84).

Myers and Jamgochian still posted good scores with a 74 and 77 respectively, but they were not enough to get Georgetown out of the hole.

The Hoyas finished the day in ninth place with a score of 315.

“We just didn’t play well,” Head Coach Tommy Hunter said.

Georgetown ended the tournament with a total score of 612, finishing 23 strokes behind first-place Princeton’s score of 589. William & Mary came in second place with 599, and Penn State followed with 603.

Although fourth place was a disappointment, the Hoyas still had individual highlights in their highest team finish of the fall season. Myers earned his first top 10 finish of the season with a total score of 150, putting him in a sixth-place tie. Jamgochian finished one stroke behind Myers in an 11th-place tie.

Teams from 14 schools participated in the event, held last weekend at the Philadelphia Cricket Club in Philadelphia.

The men’s golf team will compete in its last event of the season this weekend as it plays host to the Georgetown Hoya Invitational at Lansdowne Resort in Leesburg, Va.

“We have to regroup and try to play very solid this weekend because our backs are against the wall,” Head Coach Tommy Hunter said. “We need to compete well this weekend in order to have a good fall season.”

The women’s golf team split up to compete in two tournaments last weekend.

The blue team went to New Haven, Conn., to play in the nine-team Yale Invitational. The Hoyas took home a third-place finish with a score of 652, just two strokes behind Yale and Richmond, who were tied for first at the end of regulation. Yale won in a playoff.

Junior Christy Larrimore starred for the Hoyas, earning second place in the overall individual results with a score of 152. Her second-round 71 was the highest score of the entire tournament. On the first day she shot an 81.

Taking 12th place was senior Connie Isler, who posted an 80 and an 84 to finish with a 164.

Junior Erin Cockren and freshman Jenna Winokur each shot 168 (87, 81, and 81, 87, respectively), and junior Nicole Hayashi finished with 180 (91, 89).

Meanwhile, the gray team participated in the Rutgers Invitational in Piscataway, N.J.

Georgetown shot a composite score of 657 to place fifth out of 16 teams. St. John’s won the tournament with a 612. St. Francis, Hartford and Columbia took the next three places, posting scores of 624, 653 and 655, respectively.

Freshman Marie Bos had the Hoyas’ highest score with a 160 (76, 84). Following her were freshman Kaitlyn Dwyer (79, 84) and sophomore Claire Pogue (78, 85), who tied with a 163. Sophomore Rosalina Ascolani finished with a 171 (85, 86).

The women’s team will go to Southern Pines, N.C., on Nov. 1 and 2 to play in its last event of the season, the Mid Pines Ross Resorts Rollins Invitational.