The Georgetown women’s tennis team excelled while the men’s tennis team faltered at the 24th annual D.C. etropolitan Championships last weekend.

Eleven teams from the area participated in the tournament hosted by Georgetown and American universities.

The doubles team of sophomore Nora Gardner and freshman Liz Winokur won the final of flight B, and four Hoyas advanced to the finals of their respective singles flights, which were played on Wednesday instead of Monday due to the stormy weather.

Gardner and Winokur edged Howard University’s freshman duo of Marian Blancada and Laura Marin in a tiebreaker, winning the match 9-8 (2). They defeated the top-seeded team from George Washington 8-1 in the semifinals and Loyola College (Md.) 8-0 in the quarterfinals.

Winokur also competed in the final of A flight singles, losing to junior Andrea Fusea of George Mason 6-3, 6-1. Winokur played well in a difficult schedule, facing opposing schools’ No. 1 or No. 2 seed in each of four rounds.

The other two singles finalists from the women’s team could not earn their fourth wins, either. Freshman Maddie Long lost to George Washington’s junior Ana Skravonskia, 6-0, 6-0, in flight B, and in flight C, sophomore Eileen Boyle lost, 6-1, 7-5, to freshman Amanda Scatuorchia of Towson in the longest match of the day.

Both Gardner and junior Michelle DiCocco won their first round matches but lost in the second round. Junior Kristin Dew lost her first match but won in the consolation round. Sophomore Sana Malouf was winless in two rounds.

In other doubles play, the pairs of Malouf and Long, and Boyle and DiCocco reached the quarterfinals of flight A. Partners Dew and Cohen lost in the first round but won in the consolation round.

The Georgetown women finished the tournament with an overall record of 20 wins and 11 losses.

“The play exceeded my expectations,” said Georgetown Head Coach Rich Bausch. “It was really an incredible weekend for women’s tennis.”

The women’s team also sent four players to the University of Maryland Invitational Tournament in College Park, Md. The very competitive tournament included teams that qualified for last year’s Big East Conference Championship and NCAA Team Championship.

Freshman Stephanie Cohen led the Hoyas with two wins and finished 10th in her flight.

Doubles partners Liddy Bartell, a senior, and freshman Adriann Gin came away from the tournament winless in both their singles and doubles matches but showed improvement which pleased the coaching staff.

“I can’t wait to see them out on the court playing again,” Bausch said.

The next opportunity to catch women’s tennis will be next weekend as Georgetown hosts the Georgetown Invitational.

On the men’s side, freshman Scott Maucher was the brightest spot for the team, winning his final in flight C of men’s singles. He defeated Michael Cardi of George Washington, 6-3, 7-5, in the last round. He triumphed in four rounds on his way to the final in the first tournament of his collegiate career.

“I’m ecstatic, especially because I just overcame a hip injury, and this is my first tournament back,” Maucher said.

Maucher is the first player from Georgetown to win a men’s singles final in 14 years. The last time that a Hoya earned a place in the men’s singles final was in 1992.

Sophomores Eddie Carver and Alex Wright also posted good finishes, each advancing to the semifinals. Carver lost his semifinal match to Maucher, and Wright fell to Cardi.

Junior Eric Conrad reached the quarterfinals, while both senior Erik Bildman and freshman Jad Doyle reached the second round.

Unfortunately, many players on the men’s team failed to get past the first round. Sophomores Scott Faust and Kevin Killeavy and freshmen Faris Abinader, Andy Clayton and Ted Tywang each lost their first matches but won in the consolation round. Freshman Etienne Paris finished without a win.

“The results were similar team-wise to past years, except for Maucher’s breakthrough,” Bausch said. “We need to get more players further along in the tournament. This wasn’t the showing we expected.”

The men’s team will not be playing in the scheduled ECAC Team Invitational in Flushing, N.Y., next weekend.

“The ECAC gives invitations to 16 teams in the East, and it is the highest quality tournament,” Bausch said. “They deemed us not strong enough, and that’s a disappointment.”

The next event for the men will be at George Washington University on October 8.