The Georgetown volleyball team defeated both Providence and Boston College this weekend in their first Big East matches of the season. Both wins improved the Hoyas’ record to 14-3. Friday’s game against Providence proved to take an exhaustive effort from the women’s squad. The Hoyas were able to overtake the Friars in five games, 11-15, 15-2, 5-15, 15-8, 16-14. Intensity rocked both teams as they each looked for their first Big East win. Providence had an especially good match, rallying in the fifth game, only to lose 14-16. The Hoyas fifth game surge came from a crucial dig provided by Kim Adams, who ended with 10 total digs. It was the offensive force of sophomore outside hitter Kiran Gill that clenched the game. After the loss of the first two games, the Hoyas were able to go on to win the next two. In regard to the fourth and fifth game, “We couldn’t sustain level of play,” Head Coach Jolene Nagel said. Junior setter/outside hitter Elisa Davidson did sustain her play throughout the match against Providence. She had 8 kills, 33 sets and 21 digs. Freshman outside hitter Yulia Vtyrunia also continued to add consistent all-around play, with 19 kills, 2 service aces and 17 digs. She was named Big East Rookie of the Week for the second time this season. Saturday’s match against Boston College gave Georgetown less of a struggle. Georgetown was able to defeat Boston College in three games, 15-7, 15-13, 15-7. According to Nagel, Boston College played scrappy defense, extending the match longer than the box score implies. “Boston College hung in there and we got to the point where it was 6-6 and then we’d earn some points and finish it off,” Nagel said. Gill and Vtyrunia each provided 16 kills for the Hoyas. Davidson had another steady game against Boston College, with 32 sets, 5 kills and 12 digs. Senior middle blocker Melissa Tytko had a good offensive game, with 9 kills and a .692 hitting percentage. “We are capable of playing a little better,” Nagel said. “We played hard, and really well, but we need to work a little to improve so we can win more easily.” The Hoyas will have two critical home matches this weekend at McDonough Arena. On Friday, they take on the West Virginia Mountaineers at 5:00. The Hoyas’ busy weekend continues on Saturday when they face off with the Pittsburgh Panthers at 5:00.