Hoya Rugby Drops Two, Prepares for Capital Cup

By Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writer

The National Cherry Blossom Tournament has always been one of the biggest challenges facing the Georgetown club rugby team during the spring season. The tournament, held annually on the National all, features some of the most prestigious rugby teams from across the country, and after their 3-1 finish at last year’s competition, the Georgetown team was invited back this year. The young Hoya squad squared off against the bigger, more experienced teams and came off the weekend with two losses.

Freshman John Gantt led the offense in the Hoyas’ first-round match against Longwood (Va.), off a pass from freshman wing Abilash Jaikumar. Senior fullback Jim Goodfellow continued the offensive effort with a second try for the Hoyas.

Defensively, senior eightman John Apolstolidis shone for Georgetown with strong tackling and open field play, and junior second row Eric Madrigal also put in a solid effort for the squad. But in the end, the Hoyas were unable to overcome strong offensive play from Longwood, and the game ended with a 22-10 loss for Georgetown.

Facing off against Oswego State (N.Y.) in the second game of the tournament, the Hoyas also came up with a loss. Strong play from the Hoyas was unable to overcome the questionable officiating and tough offense from Oswego State.

The first score of the game came from wing Eduardo Jimenez off a pass from junior outside center Carl Ludwigson, who enabled the offense all day with his passing. Freshman scrumhalf Garrett Fitzgerald had the second try of the day, grabbing the ball weak off the base of the scrum. Georgetown also benefited from the open-field running of sophomore second row Hugo Tzec and the tackling of freshman flank Rob Daniel, making his A-side debut for the Hoyas.

Georgetown will be depending on quick ball-controlled offense in the upcoming weeks, when they will be put through the fire facing off against Virginia this Saturday then heading to the Capital Cup on April 29, where they will be challenged by cross-town rivals American, Catholic and George Washington. Georgetown is the two-time defending champion of that tournament, held April 29.