After defeating Duquesne in a nail-biting 4-3 victory over the weekend, the Georgetown men’s tennis team looked to sustain the momentum as the University of Delaware visited McDonough Tennis Courts. The Hoyas put themselves in an early hole with the loss of all three of the doubles matches. The Hoyas quickly dropped another point, as freshman Andrew Bruhn was blown off the court 6-1, 6-3.

The match looked as if it was going to turn from there. Freshman Michael Clarke dominated his opponent, using powerful forehands, angled backhands and excellent serving to win 6-2, 6-4, bringing the Hoyas closer.

No. 1 player, junior Dave Tillem, looked to be in control of his match, having secured an early break in both the first and second sets, but his opponent, junior Austin Longacre, was able to employ his arsenal of well-placed drive volleys and soft-touch drop volleys to throw Tillem off his game. After dropping the first set, Tillem was poised to take the second, serving for it at 6-5. Uncharacteristically, the hard-server was broken at love, and dropped seven straight points in the tiebreak to put Georgetown behind 3-1.

The Hoyas mounted another rally, with senior Ken Wong grinding out at 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 win, senior Tim Walsh winning the first set and senior Adam Gross playing his way into three tiebreakers. Unfortunately, the Hoyas were unable to sustain their comeback with Walsh dropping his match 6-4 in the third, and Gross losing his third-set tiebreak 10-8.

The women were also in action against the University of Delaware at home on Wednesday, with freshman Jacquie Harrison coming away with the Hoyas lone point. Sophomore captain Alex Sebia put up a strong fight, winning her doubles match with freshman partner Aileen Shea, 8-6, but wound up on the wrong side of a 7-6, 5-7, 10-8 match. The effort wasn’t enough though, as the Hoyas fell 6-1.

The men and women travel to St. Johns next.