Crew

This weekend the Hoyas raced at the Princeton Chase Regatta in New Jersey.

Georgetown’s best finish was fourth place in the men’s varsity lightweight eight event with a time of 13:42.099 – just behind top rowing universities Yale, Princeton and Navy.

Princeton had a stellar weekend at the Tigers’ home regatta and finished in the top five in every event entered.

The Georgetown men’s varsity heavyweight eight boat placed 17th out of 40 boats behind George Washington, Dartmouth and Princeton. The varsity lightweight four placed 27th with Princeton, Harvard and Yale leading the race. The Hoyas raced three boats in the varsity heavyweight four; its best finished 23rd.

Georgetown raced two boats in the women’s lightweight four event, its strongest finish with a time of 19:35.227. The varsity eight boat raced strong and placed 19th behind Yale, Virginia and Boston.

Next weekend Georgetown will head to Charlottesville, Va., to compete at the Rivanna Romp Regatta hosted by the University of Virginia.

– Christine Curley

Field Hockey

The Hoyas earned their first lead of the season early Sunday thanks to a goal by junior forward Kristen Volpe, but the lead didn’t hold out, as the Hoyas conceded six goals to Providence to finish the game 6-2.

Volpe scored off an assist by freshman midfielder Kalli Krumpos, connecting with the pass to slip one into the near post past the Friar goalkeeper. Following Volpe’s goal, the Hoya defense put up a brave showing and kept the Friars at bay for the next 23 minutes.

But once the Friars penetrated the defense to equalize, the floodgates opened and the Blue and Gray allowed in five more goals at regular intervals in play.

Even though the Friars rained all over the Hoyas’ senior parade, it was a senior who scored the Hoyas’ second and the match’s last goal in the 69th minute – defender Ashton Hospodar linked up with freshman midfielder Lila Samperton for the consolation goal near the end of the match.

Sunday’s game marked the Hoyas’ 15th consecutive loss of the season. The Blue and Gray will play its penultimate game of the season Thursday at Connecticut. The starting whistle will blow at 3 p.m.

– Hijab Shah

en’s Golf

Georgetown finished in eighth place this weekend at the NCAA East Regional Preview tournament in Galloway, N.J. The tournament was the men’s final event of the fall season.

Senior captain Tim Hager led the team on day one as the Hoyas compiled their lowest team score of the season. Despite a frost delay in the morning, Georgetown put together the best team total of the day, a 17-over 30, tying them with Eastern Kentucky and St. John’s in first place. Hager fired a 1-over 72, followed by junior teammate Vincenzo Salina with a 4-over 75.

In Saturday’s second round, the Hoyas lost some of the momentum of day one, as the team fell to fourth place in the team standings. Salina led Georgetown in the second round with a 5-over 76, and senior Garrett Logan compiled a 6-over 77. The rest of the squad struggled on day two, with Hager and sophomore Brandon Ellis posting rounds of 9-over 80 and freshman Brian Dorfman shooting a 15-over 86. The Hoyas ended the day 11 shots back from the pacesetter, Texan Christian University.

Sunday’s third and final team score was their highest of the tournament and dropped the Hoyas to eighth. Salina again led the Hoyas, shooting a 6-over 77.

The Hoyas’ final team score of 80-over 932 put them 38 strokes back from the tournament’s winner, TCU. Salina ended the tournament in a tie for 11th place in the individual standings, followed by Hager in 26th place and Ellis and Logan in a tie for 31st place.

– Molly Henningsen

en’s Basketball

Patrick Ewing Jr. (COL ’08) practiced with the New York Knicks Monday morning in anticipation of the team’s Wednesday season opener. By the afternoon, he had been waived from the roster and was packing his bags, his first NBA stint over before it started.

In the team’s final preseason game with the Knicks last Friday, the rookie out of Georgetown put together a thrilling nine minute stretch in the fourth quarter. His pair of huge dunks and a 3-pointer had the crowd chanting his name in the closing minutes, stirring memories of his father Patrick Ewing’s (CAS ’85) heyday.

Ultimately, it proved to be insufficient for the fan favorite, although it did make the Knicks’ decision tougher. “It’s painful,” Knicks President Donnie Walsh told the New York Post about cutting Ewing. “You want people who people like.”

His time with the Knicks finished, Ewing is likely on his way to either the NBA Developmental League or European basketball according to the New York Post.

– A.J. Betts