Field Hockey

In a Big East conference loaded with ranked teams, Georgetown is still a bit young.

Georgetown (0-9, 0-1 Big East) dropped its conference opener 3-0 to No. 17 Rutgers (9-1, 1-1) on Friday at the University of Maryland Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex. The game marked the beginning of the Hoyas’ third season in the Big East, in which Georgetown has yet to win a game in 13 tries.

The young Hoyas used only one substitute in the game and played five freshmen and three sophomores. In contrast, Rutgers used seven players off its bench.

Even though the Hoyas put seven shots on goal to the Scarlet Knights’ six, Georgetown was unable to find the back of the net. Senior forward Amy Lewis scored twice for Rutgers to bring her season total to 19 goals, and redshirt sophomore defender Chelsey Schwab netted her first goal of the season.

“I think at certain points we were dominating the game, but Rutgers made the most of their set pieces, their corners,” Head Coach Tiffany Marsh said in a news release. “The steps we’re taking are leaps and bounds now. We’re seeing a marked improvement every day.”

Rutgers sophomore goalkeeper Lauren DeCerbo made seven stops on the day, including four in the first half. The Scarlet Knights outshot the Hoyas 10 to eight, and each team had four penalty corners apiece.

The Hoyas will look for their first Big East win Saturday in Storrs, Conn., against the No. 4 Huskies (9-1, 1-1 Big East).

“This is where our real season starts,” Marsh said. “This is the Big East, everything before this was just a warm-up. The energy and the mentality that the team came out with today was just awesome, I can only hope it will continue.”

Before Connecticut, Georgetown will play host to Rider at 6 p.m. today at the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex in College Park, Md.

– Kevin Wessel

Women’s Golf

The Georgetown women’s golf team finished in a tie for seventh place this weekend at the Badger Invitational played at the University Ridge Golf Course in Wisconsin. Senior captain Chelsea Curtis – coming off of a win at last week’s Princeton Invitational – came in second place overall.

Curtis led the Hoyas during Saturday morning’s first round, firing a 1-under 71. Freshman Eunae Jo came in behind Curtis with a 5-over 77, followed by sophomore Robyn English with an 8-over 80 and senior Carly Hunt with a 9-over 81. Curtis again came out on top for the Hoyas in the afternoon, posting a 1-over 73. Hunt rebounded in the afternoon with a 4-over 76, and Jo and English contributed rounds of 78 and 83, respectively.

The Hoyas went into Sunday’s final round in seventh place of 12 schools in the team standings, with Curtis holding the fourth spot in the individual standings. Curtis carded a 3-over 74 to finish the tournament, pushing her up two spots in the individual standings to second place. Hunt came in one stroke behind her classmate with a 3-over 75, followed by English and Jo with rounds of 80 and 82, respectively.

The Hoyas’ final team score came to a 65-over 929, keeping them in seventh place with Maryland. The University of California topped the team standings with a 25-over 889. The golfers will next compete in the Xavier Invitational in two weeks.

– Molly Henningsen