Just three months ago, Georgetown captured its second sailing national championship in three years and its third overall.

Now the Hoyas look to continue that success and repeat as national champions for the first time in school history.

The first stop on the journey back to the top for the Hoyas took them to Old Dominion University this past weekend for the Riley Cup. The fourth-ranked Hoyas finished third at the event behind Old Dominion’s Blue and Silver teams. The Hoyas’ A-division team tied Washington College for second place in the division behind ODU’s Blue team, and fourth in the B-division behind both Old Dominion teams and Navy. Old Dominion’s Silver team finished second overall, with 71 total points, narrowly fending off the Georgetown sailors who finished with 72. The points came down to the final B-division race of the day, as Old Dominion’s Blue team scored a second place finish while the Hoyas came in third for the difference.

The Hoyas were unable to find such success in New Haven as they competed for the Harry Anderson Trophy at Yale. Georgetown ended the weekend in 12th place. The A-division team of seniors Nik Holtan and Carly Chamberlain came in 17th. Last season, Chamberlain was an integral member of the national championship team, sailing in the final with one of last season’s best sailors in the nation, Chris Behm (MSB ’08). The B-division team of junior Marco Teixidor and senior Andi Bailey was able to finish first in the division, six points ahead of the team nearest to Tufts University.

The Hoyas’ next meets are the Central Fall at Ocean County College, the Mrs. Hurst Regatta at Dartmouth, the Nevins Trophy at Kings Point and the New York Maritime Fall Open at SUNY Maritime this weekend.