Crew

Over the weekend, the Georgetown men’s heavyweights navigated the waters of the Potomac River for a clean sweep of Holy Cross.

The varsity eight clocked in at 5:51.2, a full six seconds ahead of the Crusaders. The Hoyas’ second varsity eight finished a second and a half ahead of their Crusader counterparts, and the novice eight race was not even close as Georgetown finished a full 26.6 seconds ahead of the boat from Holy Cross.

Next weekend, the men will be back on the Potomac to row against George Washington.

The Georgetown women, however, did not share the success of the men, as they lost to Navy and Princeton.

In the varsity eight, varsity four and novice eight at Annapolis, Md., two Navy boats finished in the top two spots ahead of Georgetown boats. The closest the Hoyas came was in the varsity eight, in which the boat from Georgetown was 13 seconds off the winning pace.

On Lake Carnegie in Princeton, N.J., the Tigers swept the Hoyas in the first and second varsity and varsity four. Georgetown was within five seconds of Princeton in the varsity four.

Next Sunday, the women will be in Oak Ridge, Tenn., for the Big East Championships.

—–

Sailing

It was an action-packed weekend for the Hoyas, as members of the sailing team participated in four different events in four different cities, grabbing gold at one and finishing within the top four at the rest.

The MAISA Women’s Championship was held in St. Mary’s City, Md., where the pair of seniors Blaire Herron and Leigh Fogwell placed second within Division A, and junior Emily Babbitt and senior Liz Rapp finished fifth within Division B. The forces of nature were on the Hoyas’ side when thunderstorms caused the B-division event to be cut short, enabling the Hoyas to cling on to a small advantage of four points over Old Dominion. The Hoyas compiled a total of 56 points and took fourth place in the championship, 10 points off the pace of championship winners, Hobart and William Smith.

The Hoyas notched another overall fourth-place finish at the Admirals Cup in King’s Point, N.Y. The A-division pair of senior Chris Behm and junior Carly Chamberlain came painfully close to winning their regatta, but were outrun and had to contend themselves with a respectable fourth. In Division B, senior Zach Kavanaugh and sophomore Alex Taylor raced to sixth, and Division C saw a seventh-place finish from freshman Scott Furnary. All three divisions combined for a 474-point finish for fourth.

The Hoyas sent three freshmen and a sophomore to the Thompson Trophy in New London, Conn., and their performance was good enough to earn the Blue and Gray an overall second place in the event. The A-division pair of freshmen Charlie Buckingham and Ashley Phillips raced first to the finish line. The B-division pair of freshman Evan Aras and sophomore Caila Johnson was unlucky in the first part of the race, but they managed to pull themselves up from 10th place to sixth. Both teams’ scores culminated into a final 241, 31 off of the winners Boston College.

Another highlight of Georgetown’s weekend was at the MAISA Spring Open, in Throgs Neck, N.Y. Whereas Division B’s sophomores Marco Teixidor and Andi Bailey ran close regattas and finished third in their division, the A-division pair of junior Nik Holtan and freshman Ginger Cutler dominated their regatta almost unchallenged. The Hoyas combined to come in first, standing head and shoulders above the rest of their competition with 38 points separating the Blue and Gray from the runners-up Hobart and William Smith.

The Hoyas’ regular season culminates with the ICSA National Fleet Racing Semifinals (West Region) in Long Beach, Calif., this weekend.