Hoya Notebook

Swimming and Diving

After the first day of competition at the Big East Championships in East Meadow, N.Y., Georgetown has a long way to go if it wants to make a splash.

The Georgetown men finished in 11th place out of 12 teams, ahead of Providence, while the women finished 10th, ahead of Seton Hall and Providence. Notre Dame leads both competitions.

Both Georgetown squads fared best in the relay events.

On the women’s side, freshmen Lindsay Vickroy, Emma Porteus, Laura Stark and junior Caitlin Colling broke the school record in the 800-yard freestyle relay, with a 7:43.28 finish that earned them 10th place in the event. They beat the previous record, set in 2005, by almost 1 second. The quartet of Vickroy, Stark, sophomore Katelyn O’Connor and freshman Laura Alito also finished 10th in the 200yd medley relay in 1:50.47.

For the men, freshmen Eric Mooney, Brian Koh, James LiVolsi and sophomore co-captain Daniel Robinson took 10th place in the 800yd freestyle relay with a time of 7:01.44. Koh, sophomores co-captain David Ballinger, Goran Bistric and freshman Wes Going finished 11th after swimming the 200yd medley relay in 1:37.08.

The Hoyas will have two more days to compete before the meet concludes on Saturday.

Football

USA Today named Georgetown senior quarterback David Fajgenbaum (NHS ’07) to the 2007 all-USA College Academic First Team, its recognition for outstanding undergraduates. One of 20 students chosen to receive the award, he will receive $2,500 and a trophy.

The team was chosen from 600 nominees based on academic record, activities and leadership and extension of academic skills outside of the classroom.

Fajgenbaum is premed and has been accepted early to Georgetown School of Medicine. He is the founder of Students of Ailing Mothers and Fathers, a support group which helps college students cope with hardship resulting from the serious illness or death of a loved one.

In November, Fajgenbaum won a similar award when he was one of 22 college football players named to the American Football Coaches Association Good Works Team.