To the Editor:

We are writing to state our disappointment with The Hoya’s coverage of the Obasanjo Speech of Sept. 24 in the Sept. 28, 2004, edition (“Nigerian Leader States Challenges,” A1).

Your article had a mere thumbnail of a picture of the president and was squeezed into the right corner of the front page. You chose instead to place more emphasis on the former prime minister of Spain.

Nigeria is the largest black nation in the world and may be up for a seat on the security council of the United Nations. The article glossed over these and other important details.

The President of Nigeria is also head of the African Union which is currently dealing with the crisis in Sudan.

Knowing this, I can’t understand why The Hoya would down play it by page placement and inadequate explanation of the significance of this president.

Referring to President Obasanjo as the “Nigerian leader” was disrespectful to his position. An article about President George Bush would not refer to him as the “American leader.”

Also, why did The Hoya ignore the clear disregard that Georgetown showed for the current president of the largest black nation by hosting him in our cafeteria?

Why did he not merit Gaston Hall? When I asked why the location was such as it was the reply was because the students need to decorate Gaston Hall for Yom Kippur.

If student organizations like SAS, JSA and a former prime minister can get Gaston Hall, then certainly a president should.

In general, Georgetown has a poor record for inviting Africans to the school to give speeches and now it has shown to have a poor record in giving them the respect they are due.

While The Hoya can’t be responsible for how the university treats various speakers, it can and is supposed to have fair and diverse news coverage, which we think you can do a much better job of, especially when it comes to covering minority, international and cultural news.

Chidi Asoluka,

President, African Society

Mojoyin Onijala

Udochi Nwogu

Oct. 18, 2004

Editor’s note: Newspapers typically reserve the top right corner of the front cover for the most important news item of the day.

To the Editor:

Notwithstanding the decision of Georgetown to allow a Moveon.org sponsorship of Al Gore’s speech vitriolically castigating President Bush two weeks before the election (when exactly are the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth scheduled?), I would have hoped that the journalists of The Hoya would at least try to appear impartial.

The news article “Gore Attacks Bush’s `Love of Power'” read like a Kerry campaign ad (The Hoya, Oct. 18, 2004, A1). No Gore critics?  No mention of the oveon.org sponsorship? And what’s up with the headline “Gore Attacks Bush’s `Love of Power'”?  Perhaps “Gore Accuses Bush of Having a Love of Power” would have been more factual? 

Keep up the good work on the Kerry campaign trail.

Rev. Christopher H. Nalty

(LAW, MBA ’88)

Rome

Oct. 19, 2004