I never wanted to be anywhere but here. In searching for colleges, I tried to find some viable alternatives so that if that letter came bearing rejection, I’d have something else to look forward to, but I never found it in another school. Johns Hopkins, Penn; they just couldn’t do it for me like Georgetown did. Frustratingly enough, I would get asked all the time why I wanted to go to Georgetown (by the admissions office, especially), and I could never come up with a decent answer, one that made sense, one that was whole and complete and honest.

When I arrived on campus, kind of sweaty, slightly frazzled, scared out of my mind, I didn’t realize that the question everyone had been asking me for so long would be answered so quickly – that the reason why I chose Georgetown, why I spent years obsessing over getting into this school, is simply the fact that I’m surrounded by people who, if they know nothing else (except, they know quite a lot), know that they love Georgetown, love being here, love living life on the Hilltop. I can scarcely imagine coming to this understanding my first weekend on campus if I were at any other school. Sad as it is to say, I often speak to my friends at other schools (and many of my fellow freshmen share this sentiment), and I can sense that they’re not having as great of a time as I am – because they’re not here. They’re not sunning on Healy lawn, they’re not lamenting Darnall as their housing result and then realizing there is no better dorm on campus, they’re not seeing the mayor of New York City speak to a few hundred of their peers – they’re not at Georgetown and, frankly, I feel sorry for them.

Tomorrow will mark the one-month anniversary of my love affair with Georgetown, and as trite as it may sound, I’ve never been happier. Everything my friends at home doubted could happen in the first month of college has happened – and as much faith as I have in the awesomeness of Georgetown, even I’m a little surprised. I was told you could never live with your best friend, but somehow I do, and you’d be hard-pressed to find a more harmonious duo. They said to not expect instant involvement, since it takes time to adjust; yet, in my first few weeks, I joined a fledgling division of GUSA called GUSA Grassroots and spent an amazing Saturday promoting, directing and helping to ensure the fluid movement of people to an incredible cultural event called Opera in the Outfield only two days after the first meeting. They told me to understand that it would be difficult to approach others with your ideas and actually have them be heard, but upon meeting the student body president for the first time, without introducing ourselves, my roommate and I told him we wanted his job. So we’re working on that.

So allow me to divulge a few secrets that I, as a freshman, have discovered. Leo’s may look different, but apparently, it tastes the same. Even though we’re a new generation of students on the Hilltop, we came here for the same reasons that students have been coming here for years: to be involved in a dynamic, incredible, beloved and learned community that I believe is unrivaled. We may have new ideas, but we love Georgetown for what it is, not what we can change it into.

So if you happen to know who I am, and you catch a glimpse of me studying at the library, lying on the grass outside Healy, wandering Leo’s searching for decent food or waiting in line at MUG, and I have a smile on my face – know that it’s because I’m reveling in the joy of being a Hoya and living on the Hilltop.

Isabella Proia is a freshman in the College and a member of GUSA Grassroots.