Williamsburg, Va., may as well be home.

The Georgetown baseball team opened its season there with two losses to William & Mary over the weekend.

But Williamsburg is about as close as the Hoyas – the Georgetown Hoyas – get to playing baseball anywhere near Georgetown. Home games are a misnomer as home field is an elusive, ethereal concept to most Georgetown students – especially fans of Georgetown baseball. It construes no advantage – no increased attendance, no raucous cheering section clad in blue and gray.

Despite having a perfectly placed, conveniently shaped parking lot on campus, the Hoyas play home games at Shirley Povich Field in Bethesda, Md., more than 15 miles from campus. On the Athletic Department’s website, for each of the Hoyas’ 18 “home” games, the schedule says in big, bold letters: Georgetown. But one glance out any Leavey Center window tells the truth.

A scoreboard, unused for years, watches over Lot T, remembering the grass of a long-forgotten Hoyas outfield, now buried under asphalt. But the host of trailers and scores of construction equipment tell the scoreboard – and the rest of us Georgetown baseball fans – that the Hoya nine won’t be scoring any runs or hosting any games on campus any time soon.

That sad truth in mind, I propose a solution far simpler than making the new arts center baseball field-shaped and putting the Hoyas’ home on its roof (though, for Georgetown, that doesn’t seem too far-fetched). The simple solution is busing.

We already have the buses. We already transport students to MCI Center for basketball games. If the team is forced to play in Bethesda – and for the time being that seems to be the only possibility – students should be able to get there for free, just like they are able to do for men’s basketball games at CI.

Eight of the Hoyas’ 18 “home” games this season occur on a Saturday or Sunday. Start with those. Start with one bus. Start with one student who wants to go see a Georgetown baseball game.

Start with me – and my editor. We’ll both be there when Georgetown takes on Lafayette in its first “home” game of the season on Feb. 26.

It’s a sad truth that one bus would likely transport all those students interested in going to the games. One short bus would probably do it. But it’s a start, and who knows. If students knew it was available to them, it just might become at the very least a new form of procrastination. In the best-case scenario, though, it builds enthusiasm for the team, and with any luck one bus would soon be too small.

The university already provides buses to and from every Georgetown basketball home game because the team plays off campus at MCI Center. And I’m not saying they should stop that service – just expand it to include the baseball team as well.

MCI Center is literally built on top of a Metro station. However, if you want to take Metro to Shirley Povich Field, you’d better be prepared for an all-day affair. A trip on the blue line, a change to the red line, a ride on the 47 bus and a quarter-mile walk later, and I’ll see you there.

The easier solution is for the university to run a bus out to the teams’ eight weekend “home” games this season, and back to campus after each game.

We can’t escape the fact that our Georgetown baseball team plays in Bethesda. For the time being, that seems inevitable. But the university can take the first step toward making that field our home away from home by providing buses to the Lafayette game a week and a half from now. That gives the university a week and a half to set up buses to and from that game as a start.

Till then, I will personally contact the Department of Volunteer and Public Service and the Athletic Department and try to get them to loan us a van. If the university won’t commit to providing buses, I’ll drive a van out to that first game – and every game until the university decides to provide them for us.

You want in? Let me know.

Make a commitment to your Georgetown baseball team. Make a commitment to go to the Lafayette game on Feb. 26. It’s a free ride and a good time – and it’s a start.

And it’s a chance to show the university that they should make the same commitment.