For Homecoming this weekend, the reins of the Hoya offense have been handed to senior quarterback Drew Crawford against the Virginia Military Institute Keydets.

Head Coach Bob Benson said such a change is “good psychologically for the team.” Benson attributed the change to the offense’s lack of productivity and the need to run a more balanced attack. “Drew’s strength is passing the football,” he added.

The Hoyas (1-4, 0-4 Patriot) will need a big offensive effort against the Keydets to break the four-game losing streak they have fallen into.

Crawford came into last Saturday’s contest against Bucknell game cold yet managed to throw for 89 yards in five completions.

Andreas Jeninga/The Hoya Sophomore quarterback Keith Allan gets sacked. The Hoya offense will need to step up tomorrow if it wants to grab its second win.

Senior receiver Janiero Wooten led the receiving core with three grasps for 63 yards. Crawford was also able to reunite with one of his favorite targets, junior tight end Glenn Castergine, for 13 yards.

Last year Crawford’s passing game was effective as he threw for 268 yards, though VMI went on to physically dominate the Hoyas in a 42-14 victory.

Although the Keydets are yet to win a game this season, Benson said, “They have played a brutal schedule and they are very hungry and motivated.”

VMI lost last week when Virginia Southern rallied, scoring 22 points in the fourth quarter to win in the final seconds on a two-point conversion.

Both teams have felt the heartbreak of close losses. VMI Assistant Coach Johnny Burnett said, “Georgetown is a good football team. Despite their record, they have a good defense and they run the ball well.”

Both teams have struggled with injuries this season, as the Hoyas have several players who are still considered questionable for playing this week. VMI lost one of its trifecta of running backs, sophomore Colby Hollingsworth, to a knee injury last week.

The Keydet offense is led by senior running back Sean Mizzer, who rushed for 204 yards against the Hoyas last year, and is one of VMI’s all-time leading rushers. The Hoya defense will counter with the impressive play of sophomore inside linebacker Chris Paulus, who has stepped in to the starting role since the injury of senior Jackson Dismukes. Paulus put up 10 tackles last week against Bucknell, second only to senior Mehdi Hassan, who tallied 14.

The Georgetown secondary was extremely productive last week with freshman Matt Barbiasz and junior Maurice Banks each having interception returns for touchdowns. Barbiasz’s 99-yard interception return was a Georgetown record and earned him Patriot League Rookie of the Week honors over the weekend.

In regards to Homecoming weekend, Benson said, “You have to win Homecoming. It’s a great atmosphere, and people want to see a good product.”

Senior captain Ryan Goethals added to Homecoming’s importance for the seniors, saying, “We look for a memorable game where we can show people how important it is to us to be Hoyas.”