Home Sweet Home

Flushing a cockroach down a leaking toilet that barely flushes isn’t the ideal way to spend the first night in the year’s new abode. Unfortunately, this is not unheard of on the Hilltop. Given the cost of room and board, such problems are unsettling – especially as flashy academic buildings crop up in other corners of campus.

Leaking air conditioning units, broken windows and mold infestation are among the many maintenance issues that always arise at the beginning of each year; this year though, an unusual number of severe issues have surfaced. This is coupled with the overall poor state of undergraduate housing, a situation to which any student can attest.

Georgetown was recently reported to have the second most expensive university housing in the nation by Forbes magazine. But what are we paying for? For putting down $12,750 on average, you would expect to find at minimum everything in a semblance of working order. That is without considering that among peer institutions, it is not rare to have wireless Internet in every building and free cable TV service. Many of these basic amenities would lead from paying top dollar. In reality, however, we would be appeased simply with functioning plumbing and clean townhouses.

Unfortunately, two perennial issues make progress difficult. The university faces aging buildings and a significantly smaller endowment than its peers. Unlike other universities with newer housing facilities, Georgetown must spend more money on upkeep of older buildings on campus while struggling with a limited coffer of funds.

Over the last few years, Georgetown has prioritized both building a new science center and unifying the McDonough School of Business under one roof. While those decisions are understandable and noteworthy, Georgetown administrators have always claimed that housing is a priority. With the completion of the Rafik B. Hariri building and ground broken on the new science center, a renewed focus should be placed on improving the quality of student housing.

Efforts over the last year have been made and will be made in the future. According to University President John J. DeGioia, who spoke with student press on Wednesday, all buildings will be wireless by the end of this academic year – a sign of real progress. While money is short to build or renovate new facilities, Georgetown should at least ensure all buildings are maintained to the highest level and not leave blinds broken or toilets leaking when students arrive. For all our room and boarding dollars, we deserve these basic comforts.”