By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

It was billed as a red-letter game, a rivalry game, a game that Georgetown should be competitive in, but a 33-7 loss to Holy Cross proved the contest to be somewhat anticlimactic.

“It was a tough game,” Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson said. “They’re a very good team, but we made it very difficult on ourselves.”

“Four turnovers, nine penalties, a missed field goal, horrible tackling,” Benson rattled off the reasons for the lopsided final score. “If we do anything right that game is close at halftime and probably close the entire four quarters.”

Georgetown came out strong, opening the game with a 60-yard drive to the Holy Cross 29 yard line, but for the second straight game the Hoyas turned the ball over just when they seemed to be on the verge of scoring on their first possession. Holy Cross’s Kenneth Rogers forced the ball away from Hoya senior quarterback Sean Peterson and Holy Cross recovered the fumble on the Georgetown 48-yard line.

The Hoyas were solid in the first quarter, holding the Crusaders scoreless for the first 15 minutes. In the second quarter however, Holy Cross scored three unanswered touchdowns to pull away. The Hoyas looked to make it close in the third, but the usually solid place-kicker, law student Marc Samuel, missed a 36-yard field goal attempt on their first drive of the second half.

The miss proved costly as the Hoyas would score a touchdown on their next possession, a 10-yard run by sophomore running back Dawon Dicks. Holy Cross would answer with a touchdown of their own on a five play, 80-yard drive on its next possession to put the game out of reach.

Turnovers plagued Georgetown the entire game. The Hoyas fumbled the ball twice and Peterson was picked off twice as well – three of the turnovers led directly to Holy Cross touchdowns.

“I give them credit too,” Benson said of Holy Cross’ performance. “Those turnovers didn’t just happen by themselves, someone forced them.”

In addition to the Hoyas’ other woes, Georgetown routinely gave Holy Cross good starting field position throughout the day. Holy Cross’s average starting field position in the first half was at the Georgetown 47-yard line. In the fourth quarter the Crusaders’ average field position moved up to the Georgetown 39 yard line.

Benson was explicit regarding the importance of this statistic.

“You can’t win [when you give up field position like that],” Benson said. “You can’t beat anybody.”

After a scoreless first quarter, Holy Cross exploded for three touchdowns in the second quarter. Running back Calvin Souder and wide receiver Steve Green each scored two touchdowns to lead the Crusaders’ offense.

For the second straight game opposing quarterbacks were able to exploit a young Georgetown defensive backfield. Holy Cross quarterback Brian Hall threw for 182 yards on 13 completions. Hall spread his passes equally over his receivers, with four Crusaders ending the day with over 45 yards receiving.

Georgetown’s rushing game was again stagnant, despite the return of senior fullback Aaron Brown who carried the ball seven times for a total of six yards. Dicks led the team for the second straight week, posting 23 of the Hoyas’ 38 rushing yards on eight carries.

The Hoyas were again hindered by the absence of freshman running back John Sims, who sat out with an ankle injury. Sophomore linebacker William Skultety also missed the game against Holy Cross. Benson was not optimistic about their return to the lineup.

“Don’t expect them for this weekend either,” Benson said. “We’ve got some issues.”

On the whole, the loss to Holy Cross was a tough blow to Benson and his team.

“We were encouraged after Lehigh, even though we lost,” Benson said. “We feel slightly discouraged [after Holy Cross] because we just lost to a team that was not as good as Lehigh by any means. We were still able to compete and function in the third quarter and we played awful. That’s what’s discouraging.”

Holy Cross improves to 1-0 on the year and in the Patriot League, while the Hoyas drop to 0-2 both on the year and in the league.

Georgetown will next face Wagner Saturday at home on Kehoe Field in a very important game for the Hoyas, according to Benson.

“Failure is not an option,” he said.