Georgetown 65, Indiana 72

Georgetown received its first loss of the season at the hands of the Indiana University Hoosiers, last season’s Big Ten Champions. The Hoyas succumbed to fouls as the Hoosiers, playing on their home court in Bloomington, Ind., hit 30-of-40 free throw attempts and Georgetown’s scoring leader junior forward Rebekkah Brunson fouled out with 5:02 remaining in the game.

The teams played a close game and the action developed slowly. The Hoyas took control early; after slightly more than four minutes of play, the team led 7-3. The Hoosiers soon came back, leveling the score. The teams traded buckets until five minutes remained on the clock when Indiana began to pull away. Late free throws helped the Hoosiers finish the half leading by six points, leading 36-30.

Back on the court for the second half, the game followed along the lines of the first half. Indiana held a close lead while Georgetown kept close behind. Eventually, though, the fouls proved fatal as the home team gained another 17 points at the foul line and only missed three attempts. The Hoosiers did not play cleanly either, allowing the Hoyas to hit 12-of-15 from the foul line, but the team could not overcome their opponents.

Even though she did not play the last five minutes, Brunson still finished managed to net a team-high 15 points while sophomore guard Mary Lisicky followed with 13. Brunson neared another double-double, pulling down nine rebounds while Duany grabbed eight and Lisicky six.

Neither team shot well and both had dismal performances from beyond the three-point line. Neither team could hit more than 40 percent of their shots. While Georgetown had better field goal percentages, fouls turned the tide in the Hoosiers’ favor; both sides combined for 62 fouls. The home team looked impressive from the foul line where their 30 points sealed the victory.

Georgetown 74, Loyola (Md.) 57

The Hoyas returned from a two-week hiatus during the finals period and bounced back from their first loss of the season to easily defeat the Greyhounds of Loyola College. Playing away at Reitz Arena in Baltimore, the Hoyas took the lead from the start, steadily racking up the points; they led the home team by seven points at halftime. In the second half, Georgetown blew away the competition, steadily opening the gap until they finished with a 17-point victory.

Junior forward Rebekkah Brunson went 8-for-11 in field goal attempts, amassing 21 points and bringing down 10 boards for another double-double. Sophomore guard Mary Lisicky scored 13 points and added five assists, but lacked her usual touch from beyond the three-point line, where she sunk just one of four attempts. Senior and freshman guards Sarah Jenkins and Carmen Bruce also turned in fine offensive performances, both racking up points in the double-digits. Bruce also came up with seven rebounds and five assists for a strong all-around game.

Both teams suffered from poor shooting from three-point range, where both sides hit and identical 23.1 percent of their shots. Georgetown sank 45.0 percent of its field goal attempts while limiting the greyhounds to 29.7 percent for the game. The two teams combined for a total 37 fouls, and Loyola capitalized on them to hit 94.1 percent for 16 points. Out of 25 attempts from the line, the Hoyas made 17 of them.

Georgetown took a break for Christmas with a 6-1 record before returning to the court eight days later against Niagara.

Georgetown 77, Niagara 65

Georgetown returned home to McDonough Gymnasium to begin a five-game home stand with a relatively easy win against Niagara University.

The Hoyas started out slow, trading the lead with the visiting team several times throughout the first half. Niagara held the lead with four minutes left when the home team started it charge, and within a minute the Hoyas took control of the game. When the teams left the court for halftime, Georgetown had established itself ahead by six points, 34-28.

As in the Loyola game, the Hoyas dictated play in the second half, where they held their opponents to a 34.5 percent shooting average. Georgetown led by as much as 18 points, but loosened up at the end for a comfortable 12-point victory.

Brunson recorded her fifth double-double of the season with 21 points and 15 boards. Sophomore Mary Lisicky notched her 23rd three of the season and 99th of her career during the game, where she found success three times behind the three-point line. Senior guard Sarah Jenkins netted 14 points and senior forward Nok Duany flexed her muscles beneath the basket to garner 12 rebounds.

While Georgetown held Niagara to less than 32 percent of their field goal tries, they also committed 19 personal fouls, leading to 21 points for the visitors from the stripe. The Hoyas demonstrated weak foul shooting skills, hitting only 58.8 percent of their shots compared to their challengers 84.0 percent.

Georgetown completed the 2002 portion of their season 7-1 and would take on local rival George Washington at home in the new year.

Georgetown 70, GWU 65

The team began 2003 with a 70-65 victory over George Washington University in front of a large crowd in McDonough Gymnasium.

The first half belonged to the home team, who dominated their opponents from their beginning, holding the lead for the full 20 minutes. With 4:45 left on the clock, the Hoyas widened the difference in score by as many as 16 points over the Colonials. The visiting team managed to whittle the lead down to nine points entering the locker room, but Georgetown looked firmly in control, leading 40-31.

Both teams looked hot in the first half, with the Colonials shooting at 44.8 percent and the Hoyas at a stellar 53.6 percent. Both teams drained all their free throws while the home team nailed three of five three-point attempts.

George Washington stormed back in the second half, shaving down the lead until, with 3:35 left in the game, they took the lead, 57-55. Georgetown, though looking so daunting earlier in the game, needed to regroup in order to pull out the victory. The team worked together to tie it back up at 63, before Lisicky hit a three-pointer and four free throws to put away the Colonials by a score of 70-65.

The Hoyas had relatively poor statistics for the second half, only making 32.4 percent of their shots and went 1-9 from the three-point line. George Washington, on the other hand, hit 40.7 percent of their shots, including five three-pointers and finished with a slightly higher shooting percentage for the game than the hosts.

Brunson appeared solid as usual with her sixth double-double that included 21 points and 12 rebounds. Nok Duany came close to her own double-double, scoring 17 points and pulling down eight boards.

The victory helped Georgetown to improve to 8-1 for the season and marked the last game before Big East played started the next Saturday against Miami.

Georgetown 57, Miami 60

Georgetown fell in its Big East opener at McDonough Gymnasium against Miami in a close 60-57 home game, dropping the Hoyas to 9-2 overall and 0-1 in the league.

The Hoyas opened the half with dismal shooting, only mustering a 25 percent shooting percentage, or 7-of-28, compared to the Miami Hurricanes’ 46 percent. Miami led for most of the half, but strong defense by Georgetown helped contain them to only 31 points. The home team headed for the locker room trailing by six with 25 points of their own.

The Hoyas sprung alive in the second half, netting almost 50 percent of their shots to the ‘Canes 36 percent. Lisicky helped resuscitate the team’s hopes with 15 second half points. Georgetown gradually wore down Miami’s lead, until with 1:33 left on the clock, Lisicky nailed her sixth and final three-pointer of the night to steal the lead, 55-54. It was too early to celebrate; freshman guard/forward Tamara James answered with a three while sophomore guard Yolanda McCormick sank three free throws to dash the Hoyas’ hopes.

Georgetown limited Miami’s usually high scoring offense (82.9 ppg) to only 60 points per game. Lisicky hit all of the team’s six three-pointers and led the team with 20 points. Brunson completed yet another double-double with seventeen points and a game-high 14 rebounds. James recorded the other double-double of the game, leading the game in scoring with 24 points and grabbing ten rebounds as well. Both teams shot well from the stripe, and both teams collected 13 points off fouls.

Miami moved up to 9-3 for the season and 1-0 in the Big East. The two teams face each other in Coral Gables on March 4th as the concluding game of the regular season.