While the Hoyas’ season ended with an early exit from the NCAA tournament, a bit of good news hit the Hilltop today. Star center Roy Hibbert was named a second team all-American by the Associated Press.

Hibbert, who averaged 13.4 points and 6.4 rebounds per game this year, is one of three seniors on the second team, along with Vanderbilt’s Shan Foster and Indiana’s D.J. White. The other two members of the team are familiar faces to Georgetown fans – Notre Dame’s sophomore center Luke Harangody, Big East player of the year, and Davidson’s sophomore guard Stephen Curry, the star of the NCAA tournament who torched Georgetown for 30 points in a second-round upset and averaged 34.5 points in four tournament games. Harangody was sixth overall in the all-American votes, falling one place short of the first team.

Except for Curry, whose Davidson Wildcats went to the Elite Eight, no member of the second team advanced past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

For the first time since the AP began naming an all-American first team in 1948, no seniors were on the list. This season’s first team consisted of two freshmen, two juniors and a sophomore – Kansas State’s Michael Beasley, UCLA’s Kevin Love, Memphis’ Chris Douglas-Roberts, North Carolina’s Tyler Hansbrough and Texas’s DJ Augustin. Beasley and Hansbrough were unanimous selections, being voted to the first team on all 72 ballots.

The members of the first team have had significantly more success in this year’s NCAA tournament than their second team counterparts – Love, Hansbrough and Douglas-Roberts will all play in the Final Four this weekend.

Hibbert, who spurned the 2007 NBA draft to return for his senior season at Georgetown, is expected by some analysts to be selected in the middle to late first round of the 2008 draft.

Hibbert was on the preseason first team all-American list, along with Hansbrough, Tennessee’s Chris Lofton, UCLA’s Darren Collison and Michigan State’s Drew Neitzel.

Hoya Notes:

Senior forward Patrick Ewing Jr. will compete in the slam dunk portion of the 20th annual State Farm College Slam Dunk and 3-Point Championships Thursday in San Antonio. Ewing, who won the Big East’s inaugural Sixth Man of the Year award for providing a spark off of the league champion Hoyas’ bench, wowed the crowd in McDonough Gymnasium at Midnight Madness with his creativity and athleticism.

There are eight players in the competition, including Maryland’s James Gist and Memphis’s Joey Dorsey. The event will be at 9 p.m. Thursday night on ESPN.