Friday, October 1, 2004 Hey Jimmy, Keep Your Hands off My Country

Jimmy Carter, a man who thinks his opinion still matters, wrote an op-ed piece in Monday’s Washington Post about the 2000 election in Florida – an issue that only the desperate “Re-defeat Bush” crowd continues to care about.

Reeking of partisan politics, his article reinforces the fact that Carter’s biggest contribution to our country on the national level continues to be his “cameo” appearances on SNL’s popular “X-Presidents” sketch.

Describing problems with Florida’s electoral process, Carter decries the local election officials as “highly partisan” and “brazenly violating a basic need for an unbiased and universally trusted authority to manage all elements of the electoral process.”

Hopefully – but almost assuredly not – he means to admonish Al Gore’s minions with these statements. I’m sure that his army of lawyers insisted on recounts only in heavily Democratic counties and desperately tried to block military absentee ballots from being counted in order to uphold democracy and nonpartisanship.

With so many complaints about people (not in the military) being disenfranchised, it’s interesting that Carter doesn’t mention the people who are enfranchised twice. Forty-six thousand people were recently found registered to vote in both Florida and New York City, and 85 percent of those registered with a party are Democrats.

Speaking of felons, Carter also wants ex-cons like Marion Barry to get their right to vote back immediately after leaving jail so they can help elect John Kerry.

Perhaps he should be more concerned about preventing felonious crime in the first place so people don’t lose their right to vote. Those who rape and murder have violently and permanently infringed on other citizens’ rights, and felons therefore do not deserve to ever regain all of the liberties that they would normally be entitled to.

Once again, Jimmy Carter proves himself to be woefully ignorant at best and fiendishly hypocritical at worst.

It’s bad enough that he gave an official thumbs-up to the August recall election in Venezuela, which was so rigged that the EU declined to observe it. The Wall Street Journal later wrote that his “complicity in the prevention of a reliable vote count was a betrayal of Venezuelan democracy.”

And where was Carter during, say, the 2002 Senate election in South Dakota that was decided for the Democrat by 524 votes and marred by alleged voter fraud on Indian reservations?

Why so much attention on Florida – have the other 49 states achieved voting perfection?

Could it be that Jimmy Carter and Al Gore have ulterior motives when they continue to speak out about the Sunshine State?

Of course they do. Liberals continue to harp about Florida because they are scared they will lose the state again – but not by much.

They do not care about any aspect of the voting process – especially not the Electoral College – except the parts that get Democrats elected.

Carter is trying frantically to get the public on his side by posing as a benevolent patron saint of the ballot box – instead of a sore loser – while prepping his foot soldiers to attempt to litigate the election results in his party’s favor once again.

This charade is just the latest act in Carter’s sideshow of undermining America at all costs. No other ex-president has been such an obstruction to his successors – even Slick Willy has done an admirable job of keeping his mouth shut.

In his speech at the Democrats’ convention, Carter complained that “the United States has alienated its allies, dismayed its friends and inadvertently gratified its enemies,” with “a confused and disturbing strategy.”

Aimed at the Bush administration, his words are quite interesting, because he has caused all of those problems himself – acting as an “anti-president,” as Lance Morrow writes in Time magazine.

Before Operation Desert Storm, Carter sent letters to France and China behind our country’s back, telling them to block the UN vote to take military action against Iraq.

Not content to attack only Republican presidents, he also undermined Bill Clinton in Haiti and North Korea. In a move both confusing and disturbing, he called Kim Il Sung “vigorous, intelligent [and] surprisingly well-informed,” and compared conditions in Pyongyang favorably with those in Americus, Ga.

One would think that Carter’s self-serving quest to make up for his complete failure of a presidency would be finished after he was awarded the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Carter won the prize for generally being a nice guy and delighting European cafe intellectuals by opposing the second President Bush on the second military intervention in Iraq.

But the “humble peanut farmer” continues to be anything but.

At the end of his article, Carter calls for “maximum public scrutiny on the suspicious process in Florida.”

For sure, the suspicious practices of Jimmy Carter deserve to be scrutinized as well. Those who have been following the former president closely know that Planters mascot

Mr. Peanut probably has more political credibility than Mr. Peanut Farmer does.

Eric Rodawig is a sophomore in the College and can be reached at rodawigthehoya.com. Thoughtcrime appears every other Friday.