Heating Up a Cloudy Day

As per usual, the D.C. weather gods have given us two days of blissful summery ’70s last week only to plunge us back into the literal depths of rain-soaked sidewalks. Gross. I guess I should be used to the District’s weird weather variations after having survived Snowmaggedon and summer 2010, one of the hottest in D.C. history, but these back-to-back changes confuse me and my culinary cravings like no other.

Now that we’ve seen the sun, I’m in the mood for lighter, summery fare, but whenever it’s cold and cloudy, I turn to comfort food to warm up and cheer up. (Think Southern chicken and dumplings, baked mac n’ cheese with pancetta on top and creamy tomato soup with gooey grilled cheese goodness.) I don’t want to eat something heavy, but the cold makes me crave food that’s filling and hot.

Luckily, this curry chicken recipe makes for the perfect meal for a rainy spring day, because it’s relatively healthy but still homey and substantial. The tangy sweet sauce dresses up ordinary chicken breasts, and you can spoon it over green things (a.k.a. broccoli or asparagus) to trick yourself into eating lots of those, too.

I like to make this dish with a big pot of fluffy white rice on the side, although I suppose it would be even better to skip this step. If you’d like, feel free to eliminate the carbs altogether or to cook brown rice instead.

Do try and track down scallions if you’re headed to the grocery store anytime soon, though, because they add a nice fresh taste to the sauce and a pretty green color to your plate.

This meal also tastes great the next day, so feel free to bring it to work, or, if the sun comes out, you could even eat the leftovers while lying out on Healy lawn.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup orange marmalade

2 T mayo

1 t curry powder

2 t mustard

4-6 scallions, sliced thin (optional)

4-6 chicken breasts

2 T olive oil

2 T flour

a few bunches of broccoli (or whichever vegetable you prefer)

1 pkg rice if desired

Directions:

1.  If you’re having rice, make it first (rinse the rice, add your water, bring it to a boil and simmer until it’s tender — water amounts and cooking times vary among varieties, so check the directions on the package).

2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

3. Mix together the first five ingredients in a bowl.

4. Add oil to a pan over medium heat.

5. Mix the flour in a bowl with salt and pepper and toss the chicken to coat.

6. Sauté the chicken in the pan, 2 minutes per side.

7.  Remove the chicken to a baking dish — if you have tongs, they make this easier.

8. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake it for 15 minutes.

9.Steam the broccoli until they’re bright green and still crisp; if you don’t have a steam basket, you can use a colander and a big pot with a lid to improvise.

10. Mound rice on your plate, place the chicken on top and the broccoli on the side and drizzle your veggies with extra sauce. Enjoy!

Kitt Wolfenden is a junior in the School of Foreign Service. She can be reached at [email protected]. Kitt’s Kitchen appears every other Friday in the guide.