GUTV Expands From Airwaves to Broadband

Good news for all procrastinators – students now have access to yet another distraction from the monotony of work with the availability of GUTV online.

GUTV recently announced that it had expanded its services by bringing its programming online to supplement its station on HoyaNet cable service.

GUTV General Manager Christina Hsiang (COL ’09), a former photo editor at THE HOYA, said that she believes this will help the station further develop and grow.

“All of the programs we have are going [online] one by one,” she said.

She added that programming content will include news, live features, dramas, horror pieces and interviews with local businesses. Although she admitted there is not a lot of online programming currently available, GUTV hopes to quickly expand and even add old programs to the online mix, Hsiang said.

Limited programming is now available on the station’s Web site, www.gutvonline.com.

This online expansion is accompanied by other developments, including a partnership with the Gelardin New Media Center and possible collaboration with THE HOYA’s Web site.

“We’re also working with Sony and Miramax films,” Hsiang said.

GUTV’s expanded online content will not be immediately available outside the Georgetown community, since a NetID is required for access. Hsiang attributed the restriction to the limitations of the station’s systems, rather than administrative decisions.

She also that GUTV programming podcasts have been considered but remain “a source of concern” because the content would be downloadable and could potentially be modified.