By Caroline KellerSpecial to The Hoya

Just five days after classes officially started, GUSA addressed many of the year’s top student concerns Monday evening.

GUSA President Ryan DuBose (COL ’02) and Vice President Brian Walsh (COL ’02) said they have been working all summer on issues including the Sellinger Lounge Proposal, reinstating Block Party and the inauguration of University President John J. DeGioia.

GUSA has continued to lobby the administration about reinstating the formerly biannual student Block Party after its cancellation last year, having continuous talks with Vice President for Student Affairs Juan C. Gonzalez.

Along with Advisory Neighborhood Commission district 2E04 representatives Justin Kopa (COL ’03) and Justin Wagner (COL ’03), GUSA is working to promote positive relations between Georgetown students, especially those living off campus, and members of the surrounding community.

Senior Class Representative Keavney Klein (NHS ’02) said she anticipated this issue to be the most important of the year.

“[We] will work very hard to protect the rights of students while mediating a helpful and necessary conversation between students and our neighbors,” Klein said.

In hopes of creating a more student-friendly environment for entertainment, studying and socializing, the Sellinger Lounge Proposal includes provisions for a small stage, standing computer terminal, copy machine, vending machines and more student art on display.

Also, the Office of Campus Activities and Facilities have created an online reservation room that proponents said will allow student organizations to reserve rooms on campus more easily.

Scheduled for completion this month, a new multipurpose room for student use in Village C West will replace the former lounge. The new room will include three pool tables, two foosball tables, a big-screen television and a snack bar run by InterHall.

Dubose said GUTS weekend shuttles are scheduled to begin running next weekend, with service on both Saturday and Sunday.

“The weekends are a time when Georgetown students gain the opportunity to explore our nation’s capitol and doing so in an inexpensive way should be a top priority of the university,” said Junior Class Representative Trey Street (COL ’03).

Monday’s meeting also served to organize this weekend’s GUSA retreat.

The legislative assembly selected Klein, Junior Class Representative Ted Bauer (COL ’03) and Sophomore Representative Sanju Kumar (MSB ’04) as representatives for the procession during DeGioia’s inauguration ceremony, scheduled for the weekend of Oct. 12-14.

Election Commissioner Eric Rivers (COL’02), who is a member of The Hoya’s editorial board, proposed changes to the election bylaws, including a limit on the amount of flyers posted by candidates and promoting Web use by candidates. These changes will be voted on at the next meeting, Tuesday, Sept. 11.

All GUSA assembly meetings will be held on Tuesdays at 8 p.m. starting Tuesday in the Leavey Program Room, with Advocacy Committee meetings beginning at 9:30 p.m. These meetings are open to all students, and Dubose said he hoped “both new and old students will become involved in student advocacy both on campus and outside the front gates.”

The assembly additionally discussed the progress of adding an African studies major and minor to the Georgetown College, a proposal initially begun by Jamal Epps (COL ’01).