GUSA Candidates Debate

All Four Tickets Agree on Most Issues

By Clare McMahon Hoya Staff Writer

The four GUSA executive tickets squared off against one another in a debate Wednesday night, but found little to disagree on. With questions ranging from campus safety to trash disposal issues, all the candidates came to agreement on many issues during the hour-long debate, which was broadcast on GUTV.

Many of the 80 students in attendance were campaign workers for one of the various tickets. Even so, the crowd was enthusiastic for each speaker, with applause after each ticket voiced its views. All candidates agreed that the debate was exciting and friendly, but perhaps too friendly, according to most tickets.

“We were pleased with the debate, and we feel we got a good chance to speak about our platform,” said presidential candidate Jon Yeatman (MSB ’00), “But the format was not really designed to illuminate the differences between our platform and the other platforms.” Yeatman’s running mate is Wendi Wright (SFS ’01).

Each ticket was given an allotted amount of time to answer approximately ten questions selected by Election Commissioner Jackie Shapiro (COL ’99).

Candidates did disagree on the issue of the course-load and on club funding.

“If we took four courses instead of five, our student/teacher ratio would go down, and then our rank would go up,” according to presidential candidate Trevor Rusin (COL ’00), “Students would experience vast benefits from this change.” Rusin is running with Theron McLarty (COL ’00).

The candidates also disagreed on how to get and distribute money to various on-campus clubs. While presidential candidate Rip Andrews (SFS ’01) and running mate John Butler (COL ’01) are proposing the creation of a Student Endowment, in which clubs would be subsidized by alumni donations, candidates Ron Palmese (MSB ’00) and Denis Scott (MSB ’00) are in favor of more corporate funding for clubs.

“I am confident that we will be able to get the corporate support that we need,” Palmese said, “Based on our work and the work of [Mike] Minnaugh (SFS ’99) and Pete Corsell (SFS ’00), we will be able to secure between $10,000-30,000 in sponsorship for next year.”

Minnaugh and Corsell made an unsuccessful bid for the GUSA executive last year running on a platform largely based on plans to get corporations to donate money to Georgetown which they planned to use for club funding.

Andrews said, “The debate was a success, but I wish it had been more of a debate instead of a question and answer session.”