In light of the memorial service for George Houston this past Monday, the Credit Union in particular would like to remember George Houston for the profound impact he had on student life at Georgetown. Without George Houston’s support for a few determined students, to start what has become the largest student-run credit union, GUASFCU would not have celebrated its 25th anniversary in February, let alone its first.

Through the lens of the Credit Union and many other student organizations, George Houston was a force from the beginning. He backed the original proposal to charter a student-run credit union, overcame administrative roadblocks, and offered himself as a resource over the past 25 years. In addition to his verbal and administrative support, Mr. Houston demonstrated his financial generosity to the Credit Union in granting it free rent and giving its first deposit of $100,000 from the university. He was the angel that was needed to allow the Credit Union to flourish into what it is today.

In addition to being Chief Financial Officer of the university, George Houston was also an accounting professor, who showed a genuine passion for the personal development of his students. He required that all students learn the alma mater and held review sessions on the weekends to ensure that his students excelled.

Although he is no longer with us, his presence and legacy will be felt for generations to come through the student initiatives he relentlessly supported that continue to thrive at Georgetown. Thereby, GUASFCU would like to speak on behalf of the Georgetown community in thankfulness and admiration of what Mr. Houston was able to accomplish in his time on the Hilltop.

GUASFCU Board of Directors

April 3, 2008