GU Women Win Three to End Regular Season; Men Lose Two

By Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown tennis teams finished regular season play by splitting wins in Big East competition this weekend, with the women’s squad downing West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Providence to improve to6-2 in conference play, 13-10 overall. Meanwhile, the men’s record fell to 5-20, with losses to West Virginia and Rutgers.

The women played host to West Virginia and Rutgers on Sat. at ontclair Country Club in Dumfries, Va., coming away with their first-ever win over the Mountaineers. The first match was played in a super tiebreaker format where the third set, if necessary, is played like a modified tiebreaker in which the winner must reach at least 10 points but win by two.

The Hoyas won four of six singles matches in the contest against the Mountaineers. Senior Lucky Ravindra defeated Meghan Cornwall, 6-3, 6-1, at the No. 1 singles position, while her twin sister Sarada downed Maia Binder, 7-5, 6-1. Sophomore Caroline Marshall continued the victories for the Hoyas at the No. 3 slot, taking home a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Andrea Pintaric.

The other half of Georgetown’s twin duo carried the Hoyas’ losses for the West Virginia match. The losses came at the No. 4 and 5 spots, with senior Missy Mendes losing, 6-1, 5-7, 10-4, to Anna Underwood and twin sister Lauren unable to defeat Emma Jeremiejczyk in a 7-5, 6-2 decision.

But freshman Sarah White sealed victory over the Mountaineers’ when she downed Katherine Agustsson, 6-2, 6-3, 14-12, at the No. 6 singles spot in a super tiebreaker decision, rallying from behind to take the win.

The Hoyas pulled off a solid win that afternoon, taking care of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, 5-3. The Hoyas swept the doubles competition at all three spots – the Sarada Ravindra/Missy Mendes tandem won, 8-6, at the No. 1 slot, Lucky Ravindra and Marshall brought home the No. 2 win, 8-3, and freshmen Kim Wattrick and Hadley Muckerman won at the No. 3 position, 8-0.

Singles competition began on an equally good note for the women when Lucky Ravindra won the No. 1 slot, 6-3, 6-2, and her sister Sarada won the next position, 7-5, 6-0. The rest of the singles competitors, Marshall, Missy and Lauren Mendes and White, did not finish singles competition.

Sunday proved just as rewarding for the Hoyas when they defeated the Providence Friars, 5-4, at McDonough Courts. Lucky Ravindra once again started at No. 1 singles for Georgetown, downing her Providence opponent, 5-7, 6-3, 7-1. Other singles wins came from issy Mendes, who won the No. 4 position, 6-3, 6-7 (4), 7-5, and White who easily took down the opposition, 6-1, 6-1.

The weekend was not as kind to the Hoya men, who defeated Howard and George Washington last week to end a 10-match losing streak. The team traveled to Morgantown, W.Va., Saturday, losing 6-1 to the ountaineers and 5-2 to the Scarlet Knights.

The only point against the Mountaineers came when freshman Marc Lohser downed Mike Deklas, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1, at the No. 2 slot. The rest of the matches ended in defeat for the Hoyas.

That afternoon, the Hoyas fared a little better against the Knights, pulling off two wins in singles competition. The tandem of sophomores Nick Sklavounos and Andre Benjamin brought home the doubles win at the No. 2 position, 8-5. However, Rutgers won the No. 1 and No. 3 matches, giving the Knights the doubles point for the match. Freshman Troy Crichlow contributed one of two Hoya wins in singles competition when he downed Rutgers’ Kevin Bielen, 7-6, 4-6, 7-5. Senior Beau Brewer turned in the other with a convincing 6-3, 6-1 win over Brock Deming.

With the regular season over for the Hoyas, the teams will focus on putting forth a strong showing at the Big East Championships to be held in Miami, Fla., this upcoming weekend.