GU Wins Mason-Dixon Crown

By Sean P. Flynn Hoya Staff Writer

Georgetown’s club hockey team won the ason-Dixon League championship this weekend at the Ice Gardens in Laurel, Md.

After beating George Washington, 3-2, Saturday night in a shootout, Georgetown came from behind to beat Johns Hopkins, 3-2, Sunday afternoon for its second league title in three years.

The season is over for Georgetown, who is eligible for the Division III Club Nationals, but cannot afford to go. Club hockey is not sanctioned by Georgetown University.

In Sunday’s game, Georgetown (11-3-1) overcame a 2-1 deficit to beat Johns Hopkins 3-2.

After falling behind 1-0, junior forward Chris Parleman scored a goal to tie the game up. Another Hopkins goal left Georgetown behind 2-1 before freshman defenseman Charles Carson scored the game-tying goal.

In the third period, senior Jamie McVicar scored the deciding goal that gave Georgetown the Mason-Dixon crown.

Senior forward Pat Goff had two assists for the Hoyas in the final.

The win came a day after an exciting shootout victory against George Washington. McVicar and junior forward Tom Bostwick scored a goal apiece but the Hoyas ended the game tied at 2, forcing a shootout.

In the shootout, senior goalie Oakley Duryea stopped all five George Washington attempts, and junior forward Jason Colton scored the lone goal, giving the Hoyas the victory and a trip to the final.

To play, Georgetown hockey players must pay a $275 fee. The fee does not include transportation to the games, which are often played far from campus. Laurel’s Ice Gardens are about a 40-minute drive from Georgetown.