GU to Face No. 13 UConn, Reigning Player of the Year

Ranked 13th in the country, the Connecticut Huskies will present a stiff challenge for the Hoyas tomorrow on North Kehoe Field.

“You’re not going to solve UConn in two days of training,” Head Coach Brian Wiese said. “You have to make sure that everyone comes and has a good performance, and somebody has to make a play.”

Last year, Georgetown held on to a scoreless tie for nearly 100 minutes in Storrs, Conn., but Connecticut scored in overtime. The Hoyas only took one shot in that game while the Huskies attempted 16.

The center of the Hoyas’ focus this time around will have to be on senior forward O’Brian White. With 23 goals and 53 points last year – both tops in the nation – White was the conference’s offensive player of the year and won the 2007 Missouri Athletic Club Hermann Trophy as the top player in the country. White has 44 career goals at Connecticut, and has already netted three game-winners this year. He took seven shots against the Hoyas last year.

The Huskies have had a rough October so far, dropping two 1-0 decisions to West Virginia and Providence. The Hoyas, on the other hand, are on a four-game undefeated streak, with two ties and two wins in that span.

While Georgetown has the best goals-against average in the conference at 0.44 per game, Connecticut is right behind, allowing just 0.59 goals per contest. In fact, 14 of the 16 teams in the league have a goals-against average under one goal.

“All we want to do is get out there and get the first goal. We play very well when we get the first goal,” junior defender Mark Zeman said.