As the 21st century unfolds, many colleges and universities are continuing to make resources available online. Georgetown University is no exception. The university has witnessed the transformation of the academic registration process from paper and pencil methods to online procedures, made possible by the Office of the Registrar.

Last Friday, officials also announced the availability of online syllabi, thanks to the efforts of GUSA President Kaydee Bridges (SFS ’03) and Vice President Mason Ayer (SFS ’03).

Additionally, Health Education Services has been working to post information on the Web. Earlier this semester, it posted an online version of the Student Self-Care Guide, which allows students to access information on a variety of health conditions and illnesses, as well as tips on how and when to seek treatment properly. Peer Education distributes these guides to all first-year students in the early part of their first semester at Georgetown.

One of the new online resources is the Hoya Wellness Web site, to be launched in Jan. 2003. The Web site will take a positive health promotion perspective in order to increase the general wellness of Georgetown students. “This Web site offers people the opportunity to promote their health while in the comfort of their own homes. We are hoping we will be able access more of the Georgetown Community through online opportunities,” Program Coordinator of Health Education Services Anjali Downs said.

“At Georgetown, we are committed to caring for the whole person. Central to this philosophy is the development and implementation of programs and incentives that promote the health and well-being of our community,” Director of Health Education Services Carol Day said. Day’s office welcomes people daily to confront various subjects, from stress management, to eating irregularities, to sexual assault and relationship violence. Day and her colleagues are continuously concerned that most cases deserving professional attention go unnoticed at Georgetown and on college campuses across the country.

After facilitating focus groups with students over the past two weeks, Downs, the primary developer of the Hoya Wellness Web site, concluded that students want the Web site to include information on subjects such as nutrition, stress management, fitness, spirituality, mental and emotional health and social wellness, which includes communication and relationship issues. On this Web site, students can access campus and local resources offering additional data. Downs said the Hoya Wellness Web site is an ongoing project, and she welcomes suggestions and comments about it.

Another project in the making, called SafetyNet, will also debut next semester. The Web site will provide “one stop access to all contacts, programs and services in the areas of physical and mental wellness as well as personal and community safety,” Day said. The HSE is working closely with HealthMedia, a corporation that produces comprehensive health improvement programs, in launching the sites. With support from university departments such as Student Affairs, Risk Management, Human Resources, Student Primary Care Clinic and Faculty Staff Assistance Program, HES has purchased four of HealthMedia’s assessment programs to be made available to the entire campus community, Day said.

The four health improvement programs users will have access to are Relax, a stress management program); Breathe, a smoking cessation program; Nourish, a nutrition awareness program; and Succeed, an overall wellness assessment. All of these interactive, confidential and individually tailored self-assessment programs produced by HealthMedia will be linked to the Health Education Services (http://www.georgetown.edu/student-affairs/healthed/) and Human Resources (http://www.georgetown.edu/hr/) Web sites, and made available for access within the next week.

Patrick Kilcarr, director of the Center for Personal Development, said the Web sites are a “respectful way of inviting students to consider different approaches to personal change, especially students who may not want to meet with someone face to face. Logging on to the new Web sites can potentially serve as the primary steps toward assessing particular areas of students’ lives that they would like to change.”