GU Takes Seventh At Admirals Cup

By Ed Przylucki Hoya Staff Writer

A week after qualifying for their first National Team Race Championship ever, the Georgetown sailing team took a bit of a breather this past weekend, participating in only one regatta. The Admirals Cup, held at the United States erchant Marine Academy at King’s Point, was no pushover for the Hoyas. Featuring 15 teams ranked in the top 20 nationally and the top 11 schools in the country, Head Coach Mike Callahan believed this regatta to be one of the toughest of the year.

“Talent wise,” Callahan said, “this regatta was the best college regatta so far this season. The top 11 schools in the country were there, and any finish in the top 10 would prove how far we’ve come this year.”

Led by junior Ryan Costello and sophomore Brian Bissell, the Hoyas claimed seventh overall but were more than pleased with the result.

“King’s Point is the site of the 2000 Fleet Racing Nationals, so every school sent their best squad,” Callahan said. “We finished strong in the “A” and “B” divisions, and that’s all that counts for Nationals. If you add up our scores for those two divisions, we would’ve placed third in the country. The only teams ahead of us were St. Mary’s (Md.) and the University of Southern California, and they’re ranked one-two in the nation. Overall, I’d say we sailed really well.”

In the “A” division, Costello placed fourth overall with a score of 68 points. Costello’s finish was made more impressive by the fact that he defeated five All-American sailors in the process. In the “B” division, Bissell finished in fourth place as well, only 12 points behind the first-place boat from USC. Bissell lost to two seniors and a junior; all of whom were All-Americans last year.

“Brian sailed a tremendous regatta,” Callahan said. “Of his 10 races, only one ended up with him not in the top seven.”

In the “C” division, sophomore Curtis Flood, sailing a laser boat for only his third time, finished in 17th place with 159 points.

“Curtis sailed pretty well. He struggled to match the experience of his competitors, but he hung in there and showed some promise,” Callahan said.

Next week, the Hoyas sail in two very important regattas. First, the women’s sailing team will travel to St. Mary’s to compete in the MAISA Women’s National Qualifier. The top three schools at this competition receive invitations to the Women’s National Championship, with the fourth place team in a good position to receive an at-large bid. The second regatta of the weekend is the Thompson Trophy to be held at the Coast Guard Academy. This regatta will be a tune-up, and the last coed intersectional, before the National Coed Qualifier to be held at Old Dominion in May.