MEN’S SOCCER GU Sunk by Navy, Edged Out by BC By Chris Cariello Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown men’s soccer team dropped their last two games, one to Navy and one to conference foe Boston College, placing their postseason hopes in doubt. The Hoyas were shut out by Navy 1-0 in a non-conference battle last Tuesday night. The Boston College game went to overtime and has a particularly large bearing on Georgetown’s position in the postseason.

The Navy game, which came after a rousing, emotional victory for the Hoyas against the defending national champion Connecticut Huskies, was very one-sided in the first half. Georgetown outshot the Midshipmen by a margin of 13-5, however, All-American candidate senior goalkeeper Brian Steckroth turned away six Hoya shots, keeping Navy in the game. The score remained knotted at zero going into the half-time break.

Navy picked up the tempo in the second half, matching Georgetown’s intensity and playing Georgetown evenly. With about 22 minutes remaining the Hoyas turned the ball over in the midfield and found themselves facing an odd-numbered break by the idshipmen. Two pinpoint passes later, the Hoyas watched as sophomore forward Matt Sanchez capitalized on one of the few Navy opportunities. Sanchez took a pass on the left side of the Georgetown goal and blasted a shot past junior goalkeeper Brian O’Hagan. Navy’s defense stymied the Hoyas for the rest of the game to preserve their 1-0 victory. Georgetown finished the game having dominated the majority of it outshooting the Midshipmen 17-9 but still coming away with a loss. O’Hagan finished with four saves to Steckroth’s seven.

Next the Hoyas traveled to Chestnut Hill, Mass., to face the BC Eagles in a huge conference match. The Eagles took it to the Hoyas early in the match, scoring the first two goals of the game. The Eagles first struck in the 16th minute when senior forward Chris Cleary faked a shot and laid the ball off to fellow senior forward Eyving Aasen who finished past Hoya junior goalkeeper Brian O’Hagan. In the 53rd minute, BC extended its lead when sophomore forward Neil Krause scored the first of two goals on a cross from freshman midfielder Bill Arnault.

Finding themselves in a huge hole, the Hoyas fought back, staging their comeback beginning in the 57th minute. Senior forward Kenny Owens used his strength to come out of a scramble in the 18-yard box with the ball and he opportunistically found the net to bring the Hoyas within one. Just five minutes later, sophomore midfielder Carl Skanderup took a throw-in from senior midfielder Andy Sole and fired a ball across the field to senior Nate Port, the Hoyas’ most prolific scorer on the season. Port did the rest, finding the back of the net and evening the score at 2-2.

The game remained deadlocked until the end of regulation but the Eagles did not waste time ending the game. In the 91st minute Krause took a pass from Cleary and ended the game, pushing the ball past O’Hagan. O’Hagan had six saves in a losing effort for the Hoyas.

The loss moves the Hoyas down to eighth place in the conference standings, a position they must hold in order to make the Big East Tournament. At this point in the season, the Hoyas need every win they can get and must focus on their next game against the University of Pennsylvania. The Hoyas will try to haunt the Friars on Halloween Wednesday at home on Harbin Field at noon.

2001 Men’s Soccer Team Page Schedule Roster