In honor of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and in observance of Tu B’Shvat (the Jewish New Year of the Trees), four Georgetown University student organizations have launched an initiative to plant hundreds of trees in the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Forest in Israel, according to a Jan. 26 Georgetown Israel Alliance press release.

The forest is located in biblical Galilee, near the site where Jesus supposedly preached. Although the land was once desolate, tens of thousands of trees have been planted in the name of Dr. King since the program’s commencement in 1976.

The Georgetown University Gospel Choir, Georgetown Israel Alliance, Georgetown Eco-Action and the Jewish Students Association are currently participating in this event. These groups will be tabling in the Leavey Center on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

All tree donations will be acknowledged with a tree certificate in the purchaser’s name, or in the honor or memory of another. A donation to plant a tree currently costs $5 and can be purchased in Leavey during the specified time or online at http://israel.georgetown.edu/mlk-forest.html.

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus and Jewish Congressional members serve as the memorial forest’s honorary sponsors.