GU Struggles in Fall Finale

The Georgetown women’s tennis team ended its fall season on a positive note last weekend, as several Hoyas won matches at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regional Championship in Norfolk, Va.

The Blue and Gray were well-represented in both singles and doubles play at the tournament. Graduate student Stephanie Wetmore was awarded the tournament’s No. 13 seed, and won her first-round matchup against Virginia Tech’s Holly Johnson in straight sets before falling 6-2, 6-4 to Anik Cepeda of William & Mary in the round of 32. Junior Lauren Greco’s two wins in the qualifying bracket, including a tough three-set comeback in the second qualifying round, earned her a spot in the main draw opposite the No. 10 seed, Maryland’s Jordaan Sanford, who dropped her in straight sets.

Georgetown had an even stronger showing in the doubles tournament. Wetmore and Greco teamed up to advance to the quarterfinals after a first-round bye and an 8-3 defeat of Howard University. The Hoya youth movement did not disappoint either, as sophomore Vicky Sekely and freshman Madeline Jaeger earned a victory against a pair from host Old Dominion in the round of 64.

The Hoyas next take the court in January to open their spring season at Virginia Commonwealth.