The Georgetown men’s and women’s swimming and diving team kicked off its 2004-05 season with a relay meet at American University on Friday evening, finishing fifth and seventh respectively against many local teams.

The meet amounts to a large scale tune-up for many of D.C.-area squads, and many of the events are not regular season events.

The men’s team, which is heavy on experience this year with eight returning seniors, finished fifth in a six-team field with 248 points. The winning men’s team was from George Washington and finished with a final total of 320.

The 300-yard breaststroke relay team, comprised of seniors Peter Nguyen, Will Sehestedt and Captain Brendan Griffin, finished fourth with a time of 3:19.73, the best of any Georgetown squad. That event, however, does not exist during normal meets.

The men’s 200-yard freestyle relay finished less than two seconds out of first with a time of 1:30.90, which was good for a fifth place finish. That team included senior Michael Bayer, junior Don Ball and freshmen Peter Myers and Chris Ball.

The Georgetown women’s team displayed impressive performances from distance swimmers Kelcey Poulson, a freshman, and senior Cori Raffaelli, the team captain, who teamed up for a third-place finish in the 1,000-yard freestyle relay. The duo finished with a time of 10:40.12.

The team placed last in a seven-team field with 240 points. The Navy women captured first place with a team total of 328.

The meet was a chance for the freshmen to gain some collegiate swimming experience and for the returning swimmers to get back into the competitive season.

The Hoyas will put that experience to the test on Wednesday evening during a meet against Delaware at 5 p.m. in the McCarthy Natatorium in Yates Field House.