The virus that has infected the Hoyas’ offense this season reared its head again on Saturday in a 27-10 loss to the Monmouth Hawks.

One game after pulling out an impressive arsenal of attacks in a 490-yard performance against VMI, the much maligned offense of Georgetown’s football squad (2-5, 0-3 Patriot) showed its big-game futility, scoring only 10 points in a game that seemed like a microcosm of the Hoyas’ season.

Missed opportunities were the theme on Saturday, as the first quarter saw several chances for Georgetown to take an early lead. After earning excellent field position at its own 45-yard line, onmouth (7-1, 4-1 Northeast) did what Georgetown could not do, capitalizing on early breaks. The Hawks drew first blood as senior tailback Joe Migliore sprinted 24 yards for the game’s first touchdown.

Georgetown again failed to respond to the call, punting on the ensuing drive. This led to a painstaking 10-play drive by the Hawks that ended at the Hoya 27-yard line, where the defense held strong, holding Monmouth to a field goal to make the score 10-0.

With its back against the wall, the Hoya offense finally fulfilled the defense’s call for help. After a 57-yard dash by freshman running back Emir Davis, freshman wide receiver Jasper Ihezie answered Migliore’s touchdown with his own 24-yard score to narrow the lead to 10-7 by halftime.

The Georgetown offense, desperate to maintain its rhythm coming out of halftime, blew another opportunity, failing to capitalize on its second-quarter momentum. The offense managed its fourth three-and-out drive of the game, resulting in a punt.

After Georgetown forced Monmouth to go three-and-out, Hawks sophomore punter Sean Dennis picked up a botched snap and scrambled 28 yards for a first down.

The broken play proved to be the game’s turning point as the Hawks’ offense did not waste the fresh set of downs. Sophomore quarterback Brian Boland capitalized on the second chance, scrambling on third and 18, finally hooking up on a 40-yard touchdown heave to senior wide receiver Billy Worfolk to extend the Hawks’ lead to 17-7.

Any chance of an inspiring comeback by the Hoya offense was foiled by miscues. After a Monmouth punt pinned Georgetown on its own four-yard line, Davis was hit by senior linebacker Josh Constantino, resulting in a fumble. Monmouth recovered and Migliore needed only one run to put Georgetown away, 24-7.

Georgetown’s anemic offense managed only one field goal in a comeback effort, and even that score was matched by Monmouth to set the final score at 27-10.

In the end it was a game of two offenses. Monmouth’s well-balanced attack had nearly 400 yards of offensive production, going a crucial three-for-three on fourth-down conversions. Conversely, Georgetown’s struggling attack managed below 300 yards of offense for the fifth time this season. Ihezie’s second-quarter touchdown doubled the Hoyas’ total touchdown output on the road this season to two.

Senior quarterback Drew Crawford managed a mere 130 yards in the air, and the usually dependable Georgetown running game was held to a meager 155 yards. Coming off a career day versus VMI in which he rushed for 180 yards, junior tailback Kim Sarin gained only 34 yards on 10 carries on Saturday.

The Hoyas will try to figure out another possible solution to this offensive enigma before they travel to the Bronx to face Fordham in one of the oldest rivalries in NCAA football, dating back to 1890. Georgetown knows it will have to be sharper on all sides of the ball to win at Fordham, a feat the Hoyas have not accomplished since 1975.