GU Slips, Stagnates in National Rankings, College Guide Says

Georgetown University continued to decline in the most recent rankings by a popular national college guide, earning lower marks in several categories than in past years while remaining stagnant in others.

The 2004 edition of Princeton Review’s “The Best 351 Colleges” ranked Georgetown the 19th “Toughest to Get Into,” the same ranking the university received last year.

Georgetown failed to make the top twenty for “Classroom Discussion Encouraged,” for which it had received a second place ranking only two years ago and a tenth place ranking last year. Though Georgetown was included on the lists for “Most Beautiful Campus” and “Best Quality of Life” two years ago, the university failed to appear on these or any of the book’s 60 other lists this year.

Georgetown rose from fourth to third in the rankings of “Great College Towns,” despite being in the top position two years ago, while falling from fourth to 18th as the “Most Politically Active” campus in the country according to this year’s rankings, which compiled survey data received from over 106,000 students at 351 U.S. colleges and universities.

Each category selects the top 20 schools for the respective list, with rankings in a variety of categories that evaluate all aspects of the school, including parties, quality of life, academics, extracurriculars and even the administration.

The Princeton Review has been compiling the rankings since 1992 to give prospective college students information about a wide range of academic and social conditions at colleges and universities across the country.