To the Editor:

Your editorial “Make the Millions Add Up” (THE HOYA, Jan. 13, 2006, A2), praising the $20 million dollar donation from Prince Alwaleed bin Talal of Saudi Arabia ignores several salient facts.

First of all, bin Talal is alleged to be a major donor to terrorist groups, among them organizations like Hamas. Second, as for enhancing Muslim-Christian understanding, the question arises: Why does bin Talal do nothing to speak out against the persecution of Christians, Jews and women in Saudi society? He is, in fact, a scion and family member of a corrupt Arab dynasty that rules a totalitarian regime, and some of his family members are said to have financed al Qaeda, the organization responsible for killing 3,000 people in New York in the Sept.11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Perhaps the editorial should have read “Help Make the Bodies Pile Up.”

Georgetown should not be bought by totalitarian leaders and their causes overseas. If this was the middle of World War II, would THE HOYA praise a donation from Adolf Hitler to the German Department for enhancing understanding between the totalitarian Nazi regime and students at Georgetown as well as helping “the world” as you ascribe bin Talal’s donation doing?

THE HOYA should know better. The real reason this money was donated is to pay to propagandize for a better face in the United States about Saudi Arabia and its fellow Muslim dictatorships against U.S. efforts to promote democracy and peace in the world, and it was done in time of war. Hamas is a terrorist group per the U.S. State Department.

Unlike former NewYork City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, who returned the money from bin Talal in New York and showed great integrity, Georgetown has only shown it can be bought in the sleaziest manner that belies its Jesuit and American roots.

Lee Kaplan

Contributing Editor

Front Page Magazine

Berkeley, Calif.

Jan. 16, 2006