For the past few years the Georgetown women’s track and field program has had the luxury of having one of the deepest middle distance and distance squads in the country. A year ago, the group took the Hoyas to the brink of the Big East championship, falling just short to Connecticut despite having scored almost all their points in the 800m and up.

Having lost key runners Liz Maloy, Joanna Rodgers and Ashley Hubbard to graduation, and all-American Melissa Grelli to Oregon, it remained to be seen if the Blue and Gray would be as strong as in years past. Last weekend at the Virginia Tech Invitational, all doubts were erased – both new and old members helped the Hoyas dominate the distance events once again.

Leading the list of highlights was a clean sweep of the mile run, in which Georgetown placed first through third. Freshman Katie McCafferty, who had already shown her potential during the cross country season, edged junior Renee Tomlin at the line; the freshman clocked in at 4:48.78 while Tomlin finished as the runner up just .04 seconds later. Junior Lauren Gregory ran strong to take third in 4:56.49. For McCafferty and Tomlin, the mark was especially impressive in that they came so close to the NCAA provisional mark of 4:48 this early in the season. Athletes who hit NCAA provisional times are eligible to be chosen to compete at the NCAA Indoor National Championship.

The women were equally impressive in the 3000m as the Hoyas placed second through fifth in the event, with sisters Maggie and Emily Infeld leading the way. Maggie, a senior, narrowly beat her freshman sister Emily to take second in 9:41.21, while her sister took third with 9:41.45. Senior Natasha LaBeaud ran well and placed fourth, while junior Kelsey Malmquist rounded out the top five.

aggie Infeld and senior Avril Ogrodnick both ran particularly well in the 1000m, taking first and second respectively with fast times of 2:49.30 and 2:50.39. Rounding out the distance accolades was the distance medley relay team of junior Lauren Gregory, senior Natasha LaBeaud, and freshmen Infeld and Lauren Borduin taking first in 11:42.33.

While the middle distance and distance squad has led the team in years past, graduate student Erika Moses made a statement for the Hoya sprinters this weekend as well, breaking the school record in the 300m, running a 39.06 to place third and break Kandance Ferguson’s 2006 mark of 39.45. Moses, who previously ran at Columbia, adds a veteran presence to the sprint program and will be called upon to finish strong at the Big East meet.

Fellow sprinter, junior Abigail Johnson ran well in the 400-meters, taking second in 55.91. Rounding out a strong showing for the sprinters, the 4x400m relay team took third in 3:49.04.

On the men’s side, sophomore Chris Kinney made the biggest splash, streaking to a personal best and NCAA provisional time of 7.91 to win the 60-meter hurdles. Kinney, eligible to be selected to compete at the NCAA Championships, will now work to shave off time throughout the rest of the season to increase his chances of making the final field come March. Kinney’s time now sits atop the Big East for this season as well.

Freshman Theon O’Connor made his debut in the 600m, winning the event in 1:21.75. Junior Danny Harris took second in 1:22.28.

Senior Alex Mason had a good weekend as well, as he took first in the 1000m with a time of 2:30.14. Mason also placed third in the 800m running a 1:55.15.

Rounding out the highlights for the men were strong performances in the mile by senior Justin Scheid and freshman Mark Dennin. Scheid took first in convincing fashion running a 4:11.61 while Dennin took third in 4:15.23.

The Hoyas will take this upcoming weekend off before they split to the Boston and Penn State Invitationals which take place starting Jan. 29