GU Remains Committed to Campus Workers

To the Editor:

It’s important to set the record straight on the university’s process for evaluating compensation levels for contract employees (“University Reneged on Living Wage Promises,” The Hoya, Oct. 4, 2004, A3).

First, the university did not “renege” on its promise to ensure that full-time contract employees at Georgetown would be ensured an $8.50 an hour gross wage and access to health care benefits. This approach is being implemented as the university renegotiates its contracts with relevant vendors. Those contracts have been in renegotiations since the

summer and, when they are signed, any employees making less than $8.50 an hour will receive back pay retroactive to July 1, 2004.

Second, the university has been working on this issue, which is complex, for several years. It is well known that Georgetown is working within severe financial constraints. The modification we have implemented did, in fact, increase university expenses by more than $150,000 annually.

As we continue to evaluate new ways of ensuring fair compensation practices for contract employees, we will also continue to need to be mindful about the reality that we must maximize our use of resources toward academic priorities such as financial aid, faculty salaries and student life programs.

This is an issue that Georgetown takes seriously and that requires broad community involvement and dialogue. It requires an engagement with a process that takes time.

The university remains committed to this engagement and hopes this process will continue with student and faculty contributions, which have been vital to the progress we’ve made thus far.

Laura Cavender Director of Media Relations

Oct. 7, 2004