GU Remains atop ECAC

By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

The train keeps on rolling.

The No. 6 Georgetown men’s lacrosse team ran over another ECAC opponent last weekend, when the Hoyas traveled to Stony Brook and routed the Seawolves 19-6.

The victory was the eighth of the season for the Hoyas, who have only lost one game, to Duke. Georgetown lifts its record to 8-1 overall and 4-0 in the ECAC. This start is the best nine-game start in Hoya lacrosse history.

“It was a good opportunity to play another league game,” Head Coach Dave Urick said. “A lot of guys played which was also good for us.”

It took Georgetown some time to settle into a groove on offense and adjust to the unfamiliar zone defense that Stony Brook opted to use against the Hoyas’ offense.

“They played a zone defense, which we’ve only seen a little of,” Urick said. “We had a chance to see how we’ll do with it. It took us a little while to get looks at the goal, though.” The Hoyas finally got a goal at the 7:49 mark of the first period when sophomore midfielder Steve Dusseau put an unassisted shot past Stony Brook goalie John Dobias. The goal was Dusseau’s 16th of the season.

Senior attackman Andy Flick and junior midfielder Mike Henehan continued to lead the Hoya offense. Both scored goals before the end of the period to give Georgetown a 3-1 lead.

Stony Brook tried to stay in the game and cut the lead to 3-2 but the Hoyas’ offense canceled any thoughts the Seawolves may have had about taking the lead.

The Hoyas fired off four consecutive goals, two by Flick and two by senior attackman and captain Scott Urick, to take a commanding 7-2 lead. The Seawolves found the back of the net with just five seconds left on the clock in the first half to cut the Hoya lead to 7-3.

The Hoyas came out of the locker room strong, scoring seven goals in the third period to lead 14-4 going into the final period.

Five goals in the final period sealed the win for the Hoyas. Junior goalie Dan Mooney and sophomore goalie J.P. Berkery split time in the cage for the Hoyas in the fourth period, allowing just two goals.

Urick led all scorers with five points on four goals and an assist. Flick and Henehan each finished the day with four points; Flick on four goals and Henehan on two goals and an assist. Senior attackman Peter Velepec assisted on four goals.

Despite Urick and Flick’s four goals, Georgetown got a balanced scoring effort from its offense, with 11 different scorers finding the back of the net, including four players who scored their first career goals. Junior midfielder Jim Conley, freshman attackman Brian Chen, freshman midfielder John Van Benscoten and sophomore attackman Doug Staab all registered their first career tallies, with Conley scoring twice in the day.

Georgetown starting goalie Scott Schroeder picked up five saves in three periods while Mooney stopped on shot in 11 minutes in the cage. Dobias finished with 15 saves and 14 goals allowed in 46 minutes for Stony Brook. Kevin Pall led Stony Brook with three goals.

Georgetown dominated Stony Brook on offense, on the ground and in the face-off circle. The Hoyas shot 50 shots on the Seawolves goal while limiting their offense to just 18 shots.

Georgetown also played a hard game on the ground, picking up 58 groundballs to Stony Brook’s 29.

“We rode really well, we scrapped really well,” Coach Urick said. “We picked up a lot of groundballs. Eventually we just wore them down.”

Sophomore midfielder Mike Kanach led Georgetown in the face-off circle, winning 10 of the 16 that he took. Georgetown won 18 of 28 face-offs.

Next up for Georgetown is a trip to Geneva, N.Y., for a contest against the Statesmen of Hobart. While Georgetown has all but guaranteed the ECAC automatic qualifying bid to the NCAA tournament and the game does not affect league standings, the game will have personal meaning for many on the squad, particularly the Urick family.

Coach Urick was the head coach at Hobart from 1982 to1991. There he led the Statesmen to 10 NCAA Division III championships. Hobart Head Coach B.J. O’Hara played for Coach Urick in the 1970s.

Saturday’s game will also be a homecoming for senior attackman Velepec, who is from nearby Rochester, N.Y.

Hobart is 5-3 for the season with a recent 9-7 win over Penn State. Jared Bebee and Jamie Breslin lead the Statesmen, with 26 and 25 points respectively. Starting goalie James Murtha is allowing 8.03 goals per game and has a saves percentage of .569.

Game time is 2 p.m. Saturday at Hobart.