Last weekend, Georgetown crew hit the water in Boston, Mass., at the prestigious Head of the Charles Regatta, known to play host to some of the top universities and rowing clubs around the world.

“The Head of the Charles is a unique opportunity to race in front of 250,000 people while benchmarking ourselves against some of the best lightweight boats in the world,” senior captain Tim Freeman said.

The men’s side raced strong against demanding winds and tough competition. The varsity eight boat placed seventh overall and fourth among colleges. The men’s lightweight team finished eighth just behind top universities Princeton, Harvard and Cornell. To finish up the day with a noteworthy race, the lightweight four placed third amongst colleges as the Hoyas just fell short to the Yale Bulldogs and the Navy Midshipmen.

“Both boats demonstrated maturity and poise this weekend in their ability to handle the rough conditions and challenging opponents,” senior captain John Connolly said.

Added Freeman: “Overall, we put together solid, aggressive races.”

On the women’s side, the lightweight four navigated the waters to finish with a time of 19:37.855, claiming the second-best collegiate boat in the event. The boat was comprised of junior stroke Laura Donaldson, freshman Erin Landy, junior Alex Vezina, sophomore bow Jana Piazza and junior coxswain Elizabeth Kucharczyk.

“I was really proud of how they remained composed and focused on what was going on in our boat,” Kucharczyk said in a press release, “especially when we were rowing within inches of other boats. We were able to make successful passes while other crews clashed oars.”

That was just the beginning for the women. The championship four boat finished ninth overall but was neck and neck with the dominating Stanford, Princeton, Brown and Yale boats, resulting in a time of 19:08.418.

“We finished better than we did last year, which provided us with the opportunity to demonstrate to our competition that Georgetown rowing is a growing force that will not be easily rattled,” junior captain Victoria Koke said in a press release.

With positive energy from this weekend, the Hoya women’s lightweight four and men’s varsity will jump the waters next weekend at the Princeton Chase Regatta on Princeton, N.J.’s Lake Carnegie.

“As a team, we accomplished what we set out to do and are eager to improve upon our results this coming weekend at the Princeton Chase,” Freeman said.