GU Puts In Quality Finish In Two Meets

By Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writer

Georgetown’s track and field teams had a busy weekend, competing in the Raleigh Relays held at North Carolina State and at the William and Mary Invitational. Several Hoyas contributed good finishes in both of the individually competitive meets.

Senior All-American Katrina de Boer turned in a strong performance for the Hoyas at the Raleigh Relays, contributing two first place finishes, one individual and one relay. She earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Championship with her 4:24.69 time in the 1,500-meter race. She also teamed up with senior Voneka Bennett, sophomore Nickay Penado and freshman Tyrona Heath to give Georgetown its other win of the day by clocking a 3:39.18 time in the 1,600-meter sprint medley relay.

Though they posted no first place finishes, the men also had a quality performance in Raleigh.

The Hoyas posted a close three-four finish in the 4-x-800 relay. The third-place team, composed of sophomore Nick Reynolds, junior Jon Tillman and freshmen Jeff Reinhardt and Michael Williams finished in 7:36.15. The second team, made up of sophomore Matt Dunn, junior Isidro Pimentel, and seniors Jonevan Hornsby and John Oliver was less than a second behind, finishing in fourth with a 7:36.98. Sophomore Adam Daniels clocked a 9:01.19 time in the 3,000-meter steeplechase to take second place.

Pimentel combined with sophomores David Rodriguez, Corey Smith and Tim Brennan to take home third place in the 4-x-1,500-meter relay with a 15:34.13 time.

The Georgetown men came away from the William and Mary Invite with two first place finishes, while second place was the top finish for the women.

Junior Ben Vaught grabbed first place in the pole vault competition with 13-foot-6. Georgetown’s 4-x-400 relay team also took first with a 3:25.88.

Freshman Brandon Roche was the runner-up in the 400-meter dash with a 51.05 time, while sophomore Rich Hill finished one second behind him for fourth place.

With its second place finish, the 4-x-400 women relay team was the top finisher for Georgetown at the invitational. Sophomore Kate Crowley contributed two top-five finishes with a fourth-place finish in the 1,500-meter race and a fifth place finish in the 3,000-meter run.