You can never have too much power.

Just ask sophomore third baseman Sean Lamont and junior shortstop Tom Elliott, who combined to go 5-8, hit four home runs and drove in nine runs in the Hoyas’ 15-3 win over George Washington on Wednesday at home in Bethesda, Md. It was the Blue and Gray’s largest margin of victory this season. Lamont, who hit 12 homers last year, has already hit eight this year and is on pace to surge past his freshman-year power numbers. He now leads the team in slugging percentage, home runs, RBIs and runs scored.

Georgetown (6-11) put GW (9-11) away early in the fourth inning, when the Hoyas broke open a seven-run rally to put the Colonials down by five. Senior right fielder Kelly Muir struck first, smacking a double to drive in redshirt sophomore first baseman Dan Capeless. Elliott followed two batters later with his first homer of the day, a two-run shot that put the Hoyas ahead for good. Elliott had one of his best games of the season, going 3-4 with three runs scored, three RBI and a stolen base.

Then, four batters later, Lamont crushed a three-run shot to cap off the rally. The very next inning, Lamont homered again – another three-run shot – to seal the game. In the seventh, Elliott homered again, a solo shot, and junior left fielder Dan Godefroi doubled to help the Hoyas match their highest run total of the season and have another game where more than half of the team’s hits were for extra bases. The Hoyas were especially dynamic on the base paths, stealing six bases, including two apiece for Capeless and senior co-captain and center fielder Tommy Lee.

The Hoya pitching staff had one of its better performances of the season, tying a season-best by allowing only three Colonials to cross home plate, with all three runs coming in the first inning. Georgetown then held GW scoreless for eight straight innings, with an impressive performance by Bobby Kirby (1-1), who struck out four batters while allowing no runs and just one walk for his first win of the season.

It was the second consecutive win for the Hoyas, following an exciting extra-inning home victory Tuesday over Navy (5-8-1). Muir was the MVP of the game, driving in all three Hoya runs while going 2-4 with a walk. Junior starting pitcher Alex Meyer (1-2) pitched five and one-thirds innings before leaving with an injury, giving up the Midshipmen’s only two runs of the day while striking out four batters. Before his injury, Meyer was leading the Hoyas in innings pitched with 26. Junior pitcher Jack Bender (1-0) then entered the game in Meyer’s place, going four and two-thirds innings, including the tenth inning, without allowing a run and striking out two. It was the best performance of the year from the Georgetown pitching staff, which allowed a season-low two runs and let just seven Navy batters reach base. It was needed after the Hoya offense left 11 men on base throughout the game.

uir’s clutch hit came in the bottom of the tenth, when senior Sean Baumann doubled to start off the inning and Lamont was then intentionally walked. After Capeless lined out, Muir stepped to the plate and singled to center field, driving home Baumann and securing the Georgetown victory.

The two home wins were a big boost for the Hoyas, who were coming off a terrible performance in the Rollins College Baseball Week in Winter Park, Fla. In nine combined games over a 10-day span against the University of Pennsylvania, University of Maine and Rollins, the Hoyas allowed 90 runs, 24 of which were unearned, to finish their week at the tournament with a 2-7 record. The offense faired well, scoring 61 runs in the nine games, including a 15-7 win over the Quakers on Tuesday, March 10. It was another multi-homer game for Lamont, with added dingers by Capeless and Elliott. It was the best offensive game for the Hoyas at the time, scoring 15 runs and pecking 20 hits.

“The spring trip is an extremely important trip because it gives you a chance to play a lot of games in a short amount of time,” Capeless, who is hitting .323 and has a .463 on-base percentage, said. “During a stretch of nine games in 10 days you work out a lot of the kinks that otherwise you would have to encounter during conference play. It’s never easy to lose and every game matters but the games down in Florida are a necessary tool to prepare for what we ultimately work for and that is [the] Big East.”

Capless was referring to Georgetown’s upcoming weekend series with Louisville, the favorite for the Big East title this season. Georgetown takes the field for the first game in Kentucky at 3 p.m. Friday.

“We needed to get on that plane tomorrow with these two wins over teams that we should beat,” Capeless said Wednesday. “Especially today’s win over GW was a big confidence builder because we played our own game and did not play down to our opponent. If we play our level of baseball consistently regardless of the name on the opponents’ jerseys, we will be well on our way to the tournament.”

You can never have too much power.