GU Politics to Host Obama Series

The Georgetown Institute of Politics and Public Service will host National Security Advisor Susan Rice in Gaston Hall on Sept. 14 as part of the first installment in a six-part lecture series entitled “The Exit Interview,” which will focus on the legacy of President Barack Obama’s presidency.

The series will include appearances from an array of Obama administration officials involved in various areas of public policy.

GU Politics Executive Director Mo Elleithee (SFS ’94) said the Obama years are worth examining because they reshaped American domestic and foreign policy.

“As this presidency enters its home stretch, and we begin to prepare for a new administration to take over, we are thrilled to lead at Georgetown a national conversation about the Obama years, their successes and failures, and their lasting impact,” Elleithee said in a press release.

The series, which will run through January, will include discussions on national security and foreign policy, criminal and social justice, climate change, the economy, health care reform and the political culture in Washington, D.C.

“Even as we are focused on running through the tape in January, this is a perfect time to reflect on the progress under President Obama, from making climate change a global issue, to strengthening our place in the world to bringing our economy back from the brink,” White House Communications Director Jen Psaki said in a press release. “And this is an opportunity for some of the cabinet members and senior officials who have been at the helm to engage in a discussion about the opportunities and challenges that remain in the coming months and for the next administration.”

The events, which will be hosted in a variety of formats, will include segments for members of the Georgetown community to ask the speakers questions.

“The Exit Interview” will also feature contributions from Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell, Treasury Secretary Jacob J. Lew (LAW ’83) and Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Matthews Burwell. GU Politics has not yet announced the guest it will be hosting for the lecture on the political culture in the District.

In order to facilitate discussions and opening remarks, the series will rely on political and policy experts at Georgetown as well as other high-profile journalists and political commentators.  Following each installment of “The Exit Interview,” GU Politics will also host a series of events featuring prominent guests with viewpoints opposing those held by the Obama administration.