The Georgetown men’s and women’s swimming teams were both victorious in Wednesday’s meet against cross-town foe Howard. The women’s team won by a score of 145-80, while the men outscored Howard, 158-69.

The women’s team had several first-place finishes. Freshman diver Juliana Bonilla won both one-meter diving events she entered, junior Caragh Moynihan won the 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard butterfly, and freshman Emma Cole won the 100-yard breast stroke.

Knowing that Georgetown had a much deeper squad than Howard, Head Coach Bethany Bower changed the lineup going into the meet to give swimmers opportunities to compete in different events.

“The girls could have swam a little bit tougher than they did, but they did alright. It was a good way to get some of the cobwebs out before we start a tough three weeks of meets,” Bower said.

The men also swam to several first place finishes. Junior Chris Lengle won the 50- and 100-yard freestyle. Sophomore Jim McLauglin took first in the 1,000-yard freestyle race, sophomore Bryan Evangelista won the 200 freestyle and senior captain Rich Dennis won the 100 breastroke.

“The men’s team has been a great surprise this year. They’re swimming great events right now. Overall, it was a fairly good meet, but not a great meet,” Bower said.

Both swimming teams trained in San Juan, Puerto Rico over winter break, during which they practiced for two hours twice a day and did 45 minutes of land training.

“It was a great trip with ideal weather. The team had a really good attitude. Some people really surprised themselves at how hard they could train for an 11 day period,” Bower said.

The Georgetown women’s team will try to extend their four-meet winning streak in head-to-head competition when they take on St. Francis of Pennsylvania and St. Francis of New York in Pennsylvania on Saturday at 2 p.m. The men will hope to improve upon their 3-1 record as they face St. Francis of New York also in Pennsylvania on Saturday at 2 p.m.

Related Links

Swimming Team Pages

Men’s Swimming Schedule

Women’s Swimming Schedule