Hoya File Photo/The Hoya Senior attackman Jamie Sharpe had four assists on Saturday. The Georgetown men’s lacrosse team didn’t play particularly well in Saturday’s season opener against Ohio State, but they did play well enough to win.

But after three quarters of poor shooting, the Hoyas finally found the net and scored six straight goals in the second half to come back from a 5-4 deficit and end the day with a 10-6 victory over the Buckeyes.

“We weren’t overly excited about the way we played, but we played well enough to win. I think our players realize we’re going to need to play better than that. It’s a start, but we need to improve,” Head Coach Steve Urick said.

The game opened with a goal by Buckeyes’ captain senior attack Greg Zytowski, but sophomore attack Mike Hammer quickly evened the score, and Scott Doyle put the Hoyas ahead by one with a goal two minutes later. The Buckeyes answered, however, with two more goals to make it 3-2 at the end of the first period.

Sophomore midfielder Trevor Walker netted one to tie the score at three with the only goal of the second period.

The Hoyas opened the second half with a goal from junior midfielder and Columbus native Steve Dusseau, but again the Buckeyes responded with a pair of goals to put them back on top 5-4.

Georgetown’s surge began with just a minute left in the third period, as Scott Doyle, assisted by senior attackman Jamie Sharpe, tied the score with a goal for the Hoyas. The team proceeded to score six unanswered goals throughout the fourth quarter, including two more goals by Hammer and one each from Dusseau, freshman position Neal Goldman, and Doyle. Ohio State did manage to score once more, but with the score 10-6 and six minutes left, the game was out of reach.

“We didn’t shoot the ball particularly well in the first half, even though we had plenty of opportunities to score,” Urick said. The team took 39 shots in the game. “Fortunately for us in the fourth quarter, we started to execute a little better and were able to hit the back of the net.”

Offensively, the Hoyas relied on Dusseau, Doyle and Hammer to do the majority of the scoring. Urick expects the midfield combo of Dusseau and Doyle to be consistently strong, and feels Hammer will be a vital player for the Hoyas’ attack team.

“We rely on him a lot,” Urick said of Hammer. “He’s the kind of player that coaches like because he takes the criticism in the spirit that its given, which is to make him a better lacrosse player. As long as he plays within himself and doesn’t try to do too much, he’ll help us a lot.”

Jamie Sharpe had four assists for the Hoyas.

Defense is expected to be the Hoyas’ strong suit in 2001, and Saturday’s victory was evidence of that. Holding the Buckeyes to six goals altogether and just one in the final 21 minutes of the game. Junior goalie Scott Schroeder saw 24 shots by the Buckeyes and made 12 saves. Urick also cited the play of senior defender Rodger Colbert.

“This was a good indication that you need to play good defense all the time. If you play good defense you’re going to keep yourself in a lot of games. We did play good defense, and we scored enough to win,” Urick said.

The Hoyas’ shooting was somewhat sub-par in their season opener. The attackmen are still young and relatively inexperienced, which was most likely a factor in their inability to find the net for the majority of the game.

“We have one glaring thing to work on, and that’s the way we shoot the ball,” Urick said. “We were persistent. You don’t have to be real pretty, just pretty persistent. That certainly enabled us to win.”

The Hoyas will look to build on their first victory as they travel to West Point to face Army on Saturday, March 3, at 1:30 p.m.