To the Editor:

As a Georgetown graduate, I know that the atmosphere can sometimes seem secular. So it is not that surprising that some members of the community may have missed the fine print – Georgetown is a Catholic institution.

For a faithful Catholic, abortion is not “controversial” as you say. Controversy means there are opposing viewpoints. For a faithful Catholic, there is only one viewpoint – abortion is evil. Indeed, it is one of the gravest sins.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (2271) states, “Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law.”

You may feel that the university is limiting your right to free speech, but you have it backwards in Tuesday’s editorial, “You Call This a Free Press?” (The Hoya, Oct. 19, 2004, A2).

The university has not only the right, but the obligation, to protect the community from scandal. Scandal means conduct, including speech, that causes or encourages others to sin. Scandal must be guarded against “the wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23).

If anything, it’s surprising that the university let’s you print as much scandalous material as you do. You should be glad, not angry.

James Caulfield (SFS ’87)

Oct. 21, 2004