GU Men Continue Big East Dominance

By Sean P. Flynn Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown men’s track team finished off the decade the way they started it – dominating the Big East.

For the fifth time in the decade and the ninth time in the 1990s, the Hoyas won the men’s Big East outdoor track championship, edging second-place Notre Dame by less than three points on the final run in a dramatic meet in Villanova, Pa.

The women’s team tied for eighth place at the meet held on the campus of Villanova University.

The Hoya men eked out the victory with 138.5 points, 2.5 points ahead of the Irish, who finished with 136 points. The win was not solidified until the final run of the meet, the 4-x-400-meter relay, which Georgetown won with 3:10.17. Seton Hall crossed the finish line with a second-place 3:10.44, and Notre Dame was third with a time of 3:11.67. The Hoyas earned 10 points for first place while Notre Dame gained six points for third, providing Georgetown just enough for the NCAA title.

Georgetown had four individual first-place finishes to earn the Big East’s first-ever five-peat. Senior Sam Gabremariam won the 1,500-meter run with a time of 3:51.04. In the 5,000 meters, junior Eric Savoth took the title with a time of 14:14.57.

Sophomore Adam Daniels was the leader of a Georgetown sweep of the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 8:56.20. Senior John Oliver and sophomore Rich Zielinski followed right behind as the Hoyas dominated the event.

The final individual winner for Georgetown was junior Sean Flynn, who won the hammer throw with a toss of 61.04 meters (200 feet, 3 inches).

Several other top-five finishes helped round out Georgetown’s title run. Sophomore Nick Reynolds was second in the 400 meters with a time of 46.95. Senior Matt Kalwinsky was not far behind, with a fourth-place 47.07. Sophomore David Rodriguez was fifth in the 10,000-meter run with a mark of 30:33.53.

In relays, besides the 4-x-400 victory, the Georgetown 4-x-800 meter relay was second with a time of 7:29.46, just .13 behind first place Connecticut.

In the long jump, senior France Davis was second with a leap of 7.57 meters (24 feet, 10 inches), one inch behind St. John’s Garfield Swaby. Georgetown finished second and third in the triple jump; senior Stephen Baldi (50 feet, 6_ inches) and sophomore Nathan Rollins (50 feet, _ inches) finished two feet behind Syracuse’s Sam Okantey, whose first-place jump reached 52 feet, 5¼ inches.

Meanwhile, the women’s mustered just 46 points, good enough for a share of eighth place with Syracuse. iami took home the women’s Big East title with 125 points, followed by Pittsburgh (115) and Notre Dame (103.5).

The Hoyas had no finishes higher than fourth place individually. Senior Katrina DeBoer was fourth in the 800-meter run, crossing the line with a time of 2:07.34. Junior Autumn Fogg and sophomore Lisa Roder finished fourth and fifth with a fourth-place 9:35.06 in the 3,000 meters, while senior Kate Landau (16:50.69) and sophomore Janelle Thomas (17:24.99) finished fourth and fifth in the 5,000-meter run.

While classes end this week, the track season continues through ay. On May 8, Georgetown will send squads to George Mason and the University of North Carolina for meets.