Gu Looks to Rebound at Home

At the beginning of the season, Georgetown Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said, “Eight is enough.” Only eight players may indeed be enough for Georgetown as long as sophomore forward Kieraah Marlow continues to dominate opponents.

Behind strong team efforts, career-highs by several of the Hoyas and the stellar play of Marlow, who averages 16.4 points and 10.2 rebounds per game, Georgetown (3-2) tips off against Appalachian State (1-2) tomorrow.

The Hoyas are coming off of a 68-62 overtime loss to Fordham Wednesday night, and they will look for a victory over the ountaineers to keep from falling to .500 early on in the season.

While Appalachian State has started the season 1-2, the ountaineers are coming off of their best season in recent history (11-17, 8-12 Southern). Former WNBA player-turned-head coach Adrienne Shuler has only improved the Mountaineers since her stint began.

The Mountaineers have consistently been a middle-of-the-road team in their lower-level conference, but last season the ountaineers pulled surprising upsets over a better Clemson team and current Southern Conference leader Elon. Last year’s ountaineer team proved that it is capable of running with heavily favored teams on any given day.

Though the Hoyas are coming off of a loss, senior forward Kate Carlin could help carry some positive momentum off of her recent remarkable performances. Carlin made a career-high 22 points in the loss to Fordham as well as 16 points in the loss to North Dakota State. Senior guard Bethany LeSueur, meanwhile, scored a season-high 17 points against Fordham.

Georgetown’s trouble at the line could detract from its performance. In the Fordham game, Georgetown netted just eight of 21 at the free throw line. So far this season, the team has posted a .587 free throw percentage. Georgetown will have to be more effective at capitalizing on foul shot opportunities in the future.

Appalachian State sophomore guard Whitney Tossie is among the team’s leaders in scoring, rebounds and field goal percentage. Georgetown will have to be careful of Tossie as she leads the Southern Conference in steals and is tied for fourth in assists.

Tossie will have to hold on to the ball if she wants to make an impact against the Hoyas, though; she also leads the team in turnovers and has a middling .63 assist-to-turnover ratio.

The Hoyas will look to capitalize on their inside game against the Mountaineers. Against a team with no starter taller than 5-foot-11, Georgetown’s pair of six-foot-three senior center Christine Whitt and six-foot-three freshman forward Katrina Wheeler will look to exploit their smaller defenders.

Look for Marlow to have another productive game after her 10-of-11 shooting performance and 23 points against Lipscomb on Nov. 27. So far this year, when Marlow has played well, the team has won. In Georgetown’s three wins, she has scored 11, 27 and 23 points.

Tomorrow the Hoyas will have to build on the shooting momentum created by Carlin against Fordham, as well as promising performances by Marlow, to create a team effort strong enough to keep Georgetown afloat above .500.

Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. in McDonough Arena.